Interest in Middle Fork of the Salmon? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2019   #11

Good luck and I hope your friends with rafts are very experienced and have been in there before because I would not even consider going in there that time of year unless I had been or people I was with had been and I'm a very experienced kayaker and marginally experienced rafter.

panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019   #12

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Busta, first, congratulations on drawing a permit.

1. Search back on this forum and read up on Marsh Creek and Boundary Creek launches. The road to Boundary usually gets punched through somewhere between May 15-25...but this country just got hammered with a bunch more snow (it had been quite bare) this week. The road between Stanley and Sun Valley ID 75/ID 21 was closed due to a massive avalanche and snowfall.
  2. The MF Salmon is classic backcountry Class IV water. You'll have at least one big IV every day, and LOTS of III rapids. At this flow, some of the smaller rapids will act like IVs and the rapids will be longer and more continuous, with less time between them to recover. You could flip in one and swim through the next two...it's a big moving freight train of water. There are also some good YouTube videos on MF Salmon high water raft flips.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by busta3396
    I have one season of white water kayaking in me, I have done some rafting, but I I would say class 4 max, maybe not even that. So in short I have plenty of experience in water, but I would not call myself an experienced white water kayaker.
  3. If you don't have a solid roll, get your rear in the pool and work on it. You might be comfortable in the water, but I'd prefer for you to be comfortable staying in your boat!!
Anyhoo, it's an incredible place. If you have realistic expectations and are prepared for a MF trip during runoff, you could have an AMAZING trip.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #13

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Or you or someone in your party could take a long swim and create a life threatening situation. Early MFS trips are not for the inexperienced. I am friends with a bunch of serious cat boaters and their go/no go is about 6feet on the guage. FWIW.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019   #14

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by busta3396 View Post
I have done some rafting, but I I would say class 4 max, maybe not even that. So in short I have plenty of experience in water, but I would not call myself an experienced white water kayaker.

Mr Stark...

Mr Stark.. I don't feel so good.

I don't know whats happening?

Sorry.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #16
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
I have one season of white water kayaking in me,
That is not enough for a high water run on the Middle Fork. Maybe from Indian Creek (airstrip 25 miles down) but not off the top unless you want your ass handed to you.

Quote:
But I have to mention first, a day after posting this thread I got a message from a friend who is interested in joining and has other friends who are interested with rafts etc.
Although the road could be open my spidey sense is telling me it will be June. And that changes the nature of the trip radically. If no one has experience on Marsh Creek I wouldn't even consider planning this trip. That little stretch of 'Creek' has ruined a lot of peoples day, gear, trip and more.

I have close to a hundred trips....its in my backyard basically....and several down Marsh Creek. I am happy to share what I know as it comes together, but this is a serious trip and you need someone familiar with the run to go. And I wouldn't want to do it with just one raft. Three would be a good number.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #17

Jackson, Wyoming
Carvedog is speaking truth. Marsh creek is not to be taken lightly. It’s a great run, but in May, it is very high consequence creeking for sure.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #18

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

This 20 minute boat chase is WAY better than what happens when things go wrong above Dagger.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #19

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Listen to Carvedog.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #20

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Yard Sale May 29, 2019 just 3 miles below Boundary Creek put in.

Lots of used rafting and kayaking gear at discounted prices. There will bag tossing and swift water practice opportunities. Deals will be float by all day. Early bird specials.

Mark your calendars today!

Sorry, In person only, all sales are final!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote