Going to be in Oregon for a week during the Eclipse, where should I boat? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 08-08-2017   #1

Harrisburg, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2014
Going to be in Oregon for a week during the Eclipse, where should I boat?

A few friends and I are going to be in Oregon and Upper California for a week for the Eclipse. We are bringing our kayaks with us. We are willing to drive all over the state. Going to mainly be in the Bend and Portland areas.

We are mainly looking for Class III/IV runs and definitely some waterfalls since we are coming from Colorado and don't get to run those much. We would do Class IV/V runs if we could find a group to follow.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun waterfalls, rivers, and playwaves to hit while we are there? The Wind River looked like a lot of fun.

Badinboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #2

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
The wind is a little ways from Bend.

The dechutes in / just outside of bend has great class iv, iv+ and v sections. Looks up dillon falls, lava falls and meadow camp. All at good flows right now.

Id be happy to show you down if you come through bend.
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Most stuff with water falls and harder water is pretty dried up right now. But as stated above, the upper Deschutes has water.

There is also water in the upper McKenzie for some big sized water fall drops which is just over the hill from the bend area/upper deschutes runs:
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/4510/

Another good option is the upper North Fork Lewis just over the board in Southwest Washington, it has enough water to scrape down and do a few nice waterfall drops;
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/5711/
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #4

Harrisburg, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks guy! I will probably take you up on that offer.

Do the rivers not depend on rain up there? Cause they don't really depend on rain down here.
Badinboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Hells corner

Hells corner on the Upper Klamath will be running. Great run on the Oregon/California border. PM me and I can give you shuttle directions.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Be sure to check out the White Salmon. The middle is a classic class III section and you may find people who will take you down the Green Truss if you can convince them of your mettle. The Truss isn't just waterfalls--you also have to negotiate class V Zig Zag Canyon so hopefully you have some chunky class V experience as well, but it is pretty clear of wood right down and should be at a good level for first timers still in a couple weeks.

I don't know that I've done the Lower Wind at quite this low a level but sometimes groups of moderately skilled hardshellers with scrape down at ELF levels to run laps on the top two drops at Shipherd's Falls.

NF Lewis is a solid two hour drive from PDX. I don't know what the Cussed Hollow stretch is like at these low levels, but it would be gorgeous. The Waterfalls upstream of there could be at a nice level for park and huck. But... they are pretty big if you don't get on falls very often.

Most paddlers are on facebook and that is how I would communicate if I were you. There are several groups.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrown98 View Post
NF Lewis is a solid two hour drive from PDX. I don't know what the Cussed Hollow stretch is like at these low levels, but it would be gorgeous
Its at ELF flows right now but boatable, we'll probably run that next week on a week day.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
...... we'll probably run that next week on a week day.
You sure have a fun job!