Deso question. Re: rec.gov and $ - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Deso question. Re: rec.gov and $

Re: rec.gov reservation system on Desolation

When the BLM was handling permits you had to pay for your permit 30 days in advance of your launch date. (Pay for the # of people you thought would be going- at approx $18/pp)
Now, with Rec.gov it seems to me that you just need to pay for at least one person when you book the permit and then can pay for up to the 25 max just a day or two before your launch.
The BLM website and Rec.gov do not mention any deadlines as far as I can tell.
Am I reading this wrong? I have a reservation for a June 15th launch and have only paid for 1 person in order to hold the reservation. Is there a deadline as to when I need to pay for the remaining people? Can I add 8 people 2 days before launch?
Any experience with this and thoughts mucho appreciated.
Mike

kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013   #2

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Our permit clearly says all changes need to happen no later than 31 days before launch.
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Thanks- that's good info.

Can you add up to the 25 person max 31 days in advance or is there a limit?

(IE: you paid for 1 person when you made the permit reservation but now want to add and pay for 24 more at least 31 days in advance).

Mike
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013   #4

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
here's the info per the gal (Joan at rec.gov)

there are no REFUNDS for reductions on the number of people on the permit if made less than 31 days prior to launch date.

you may add people to your original number that you used to hold the permit UNTIL you print the permit. that part i am fairly certain of. after that it gets a little confusing. i think you may add more people up until your launch date.

seems like there was some thing in the acceptance process when we signed up that said we needed to print the permit at least 14 days before launch. that was back in march and i just got back yesterday from a 23 day grand trip so my memory may be a little off.

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't know about Deso, but I would imagine it's the same process as it is for the Main Salmon. I may be wrong??? When you make a permit reservation on rec.gov, you get an e-mail confirmation. That's what you print and present to the ranger at the put-in to receive your actual permit. You can add people up until the day before you launch. Just print the updated confirmation e-mail. You must cancel your reservation 21 days before launch. I'm not sure on refunds if you subtract people. I've not seen anything about printing a permit or confirmation 14 days in advance.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #6

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
rec.gov 888-448-1474

you'll need your reservation number
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I spoke with rec.gov this morning regarding my Deso permit and was told as long as you haven't printed your permit, you can add people up to 14 days before your launch.
Old 04-20-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I spoke with rec.gov this morning regarding my Deso permit and was told as long as you haven't printed your permit, you can add people up to 14 days before your launch.
Definitely different rules than Main Salmon permit on rec.gov.
Old 04-20-2013   #9

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
At some point the folks at the BLM and rec.gov are going to have to offically iron this out. Some poor river ranger is going to have to play the bad guy when you show and say "sorry only you and 1 other person can go". Check with the BLM, get a name and number, and do the same with rec.gov. I think you may find their perceptions differ and you will get caught in the middle. If they do Be prepared to take a lot of time working on this or just do what the BLM says and worry about the rest of your trip logistics. Good Luck
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
A friend is currently dealing with this mess. She made her Deso reservation over a month ago, but unfortunately printed her permit at the time that she made the reservation, and now can't add members to the trip, even 14 days in advance. She was unaware that printing the permit was a bad thing to do.

I made my own reservation today, and since I've been following this thread and knew better, I didn't print my permit. Had I not seen this thread, I wouldn't have known about this stipulation. There is nothing on the checkout page that explains this. No where that I could see, was there a warning that clicking the "confirm and print permit" button locks you in 100% without the ability to make changes. There is nothing about a 14 day before launch window to make changes. The confirmation e-mail that you receive has these two paragraphs at the bottom. Neither of which mention anything about 14 days. This info would be nice to have on the actual reservation checkout page, since it's VERY important stuff to know. My friend will talk with the folks at Rec.gov to see what her options are. She has tried to talk with the Deso river office for the past week, and no one is answering the phone or returning messages.

"The permits can be printed online through yourwww.recreation.govaccount.
The system will allow you to print your permit as soon as you complete your reservation. It is always recommended that you only print your permit, once you are sure that you will not be making any changes to your permit or will not be cancelling your permit."

"Please note that once you print your permit, the system will not allow any changes to your permit. If you decide to cancel your permit after it has been printed then there will be NO REFUND."