Deso flows?? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2019   #11

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Last year at 18-20 everything was fun. Big waves. Thunder Hole in Coal Creek was memorable but we didn’t scout and it went by fast. Cow Swim is the same as always, enter left and pull right off the bottom wall, just bigger. Wire Fence is just a straightforward drop. I think we took the right one but really can’t remember. Three Fords - everyone seems to make much of this at high water but as I recall it’s still an entry on the tongue river right near the wall then pull or push toward right center to avoid the chaos along the right wall.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019   #12

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSQRD View Post
I heard they cut back on the flows out of flaming gorge to keep it around ~20K, so I don't believe it will get really crazy. See you on the river we have a June 8th put-on. Does anybody know if there are any bugs yet ? Dream Flows great way to see above and below the canyon Dreamflows Report
The outflow from Flaming Gorge is approx 8000 cfs which I think is near max without spillway. Not completely sure but still lots of water. Most of Deso flow comes from Yampa which is rapidly rising. Right now there’s around 2000 coming from the White which can max at 4000. Typically the Price can add up to 1000 but that’s way down near Swasey’s.

Would love to be putting n the next week or so. Last year we made it past Jacks Creek the first day with a very late 10-11 start. Current was at least 4mph. The rest of the trip we had to stall and take extra hikes etc just to not run out of river too soon.

Jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019   #13

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
The outflow from Flaming Gorge is approx 8000 cfs which I think is near max without spillway. Not completely sure but still lots of water. Most of Deso flow comes from Yampa which is rapidly rising.

Looks like they are adjusting Flaming Gorge to accommodate the recent/projected increase of the Yampa.
Max w/o spill is 8500 cfs (4500 generation/4000 bypass)
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019   #14

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Getting ready to leave, again thanks for all the feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	703.6 KB
ID:	35935  
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019   #15

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer2 View Post
Getting ready to leave, again thanks for all the feedback!
Let us know how it was when you get back. I've got a 6/18 launch and am curious about these flows. Only done it once, and it was in the low 20's then. I expect it will be similar.
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019   #16

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
just off deso two days ago. Hardly any bugs at Sand Wash. We did have some nasty mosquitos at our first camp, roughly 15 miles in. Pretty sure it was due to the first push of water, then the drop in flows with colder weather. That created some standing water for the skeeters to enjoy. But, after that, hardly any mosquitos. I imagine with water on the up, you wil be just fine. We had some biting gnats (cedar gnats i believe) down at Poverty on our last night.
The rnager told us about a jon boat that was pinned in rattlesnake, it was still there on river left in the rocks. I imagine it will come off of its current spot with a bump in flows, if it hasnt already. So beware of that. Enjoy! Deso at 20+ is fun.
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019   #17

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMIKE View Post
just off deso two days ago. Hardly any bugs at Sand Wash. We did have some nasty mosquitos at our first camp, roughly 15 miles in.

Mike - What Camp were you at the 1st night? How long did it take to get there?
Old 06-11-2019   #18
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
We just got off on the 8th. It was about 22k CFS at take out. No bugs to speak of... relatively.

Miles were easy to make. We never got out of camp after 10 and were always in camp by 3, usually much earlier.

We did opposite stampede first night when flows were only like 12-14. We launched at 9:30 and were in by 3:00, it seems like it was earlier, but definitely not any later.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019   #19

La Plata, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks for the Info

Thanks everyone for the updates, We have a launch for June 18th looks like we will get a good ride!
Taosgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Got off on Saturday, June 15th - no mosquitos yet
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote