Yuba City, Ca? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2009   #1

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Yuba City, Ca?

Thinking about spending 3 months or so in Yuba city starting in mid to late August. What is the paddling like out there that time of year?

Also, is it a "nice" part of California?

Thanks,

MR

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009   #2

Yuba City is very Close to Heaven. Yuba City itself , sucks but you will be within an hour to 90 minutes form alot of great kayaking, single tracks and climbing. At least 15 20 river runs. within 2 hours.
G-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #3

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
In mid to late august the mountain biking will be better than the kayaking. You will have monthly releases on the North Feather, a couple days for Fordyce and whatever that manky one over there is called. And there might be a month on the South Feather,which is pretty sick. Plus whatever American Whitewater might have flow studies on. And then there is always the South Fork of the American. Which will be a drive.

So, all in all not that bad, but it is all damn dependent. By august you will need a Noah ark type rain to bring anything up.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009   #4

Cali does require a bit of driving, but these are some runs that could possibly be going: cherry creek(of the tuolumne), the lower tuolumne, middle and south fork american, fordyce, and burnt ranch gorge. I recommend making the drive to cherry creek, it's worth it if you want to paddle some of the most quality class V in the country.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #5

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Fordyce will have 5 days of releases in mid August, it is a great run. One of my favorites. You will also be able to catch some releases on the NF Feather, Tobin section. I believe there is also a release on the Pit in September as well. August, Sept, and Oct are probably 3 of the slowest months as far as whitewater goes. SF American will always have some class 3 action, and Cherry should run as well as already stated.

Bottom line...boating options very limited that time of year, you might want to switch to canyoneering and go see some AMAZING canyons at low water. Also, are you set on Yuba City? Chico is a great town with a significantly better scene 45 minutes north. Sacramento is bigger but alright too. Alright that is enough from me.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Thanks guys. The other option at this point seems to be the portland area. I imagine that the paddling will be somewhat better there?

MR
Old 07-22-2009   #7

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
I think Portland might be a safer bet this time of year if your primary objective is solely to boat.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote