Your favorite things about kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2007   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Your favorite things about kayaking

So I killed my ankle and leg while doing a freeride mtn bike trail and am laid up once again. I decided to start a few threads that will make for good reads from the buzzards.

Gary

My favorite thing about kayaking is searching for that perfect moment we all have had while paddling. I like the focus I get above a big and scary drop (it's like tunnel vision). I like seeing some of my closest friends smiling and sharing what we have or are doing; looking up into the chaos after a run and knowing for this day the river made you special. The beauty of the unseen places that only a small watercraft can get to. The serenity and peacefulness, the campfires and the quality of people you spend these moments in life with.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
That shit eatin grin you wear the whole time your on the water hidding the fact that you maybe scarded shitless or having the time of your life! And the paddlers you call friends who know which grin it is and let you know how funny it is to see you sportin it!
RandyP
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #3

Wow. That was surprisingly poetic from someone who's primary occupation on this website seems to be shit-talking. Was this the mountainbike trail you call Turkey Creek?

But to answer your question, it's got to be the adrenaline rush I get from successfully navigating a challenging rapids in places no one will ever see unless they are in a boat. All this knowing that the river cannot be conquered but will always ultimately win.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007   #4

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Work in this:
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/wtryon/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Drive in this:

Live here:

But in 40 minutes I can be here:

Sanity. . .
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
My favorite thing about kayaking is that conditions are always good somewhere during the season. It's not like a lot of other sports that rely on the planets to line up in order for conditions to be prime. I know that my favorite runs are going to be going off every year at about the same time.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
boating new water
feeling that rush of adrenaline when you're on new water and don't know what's around the corner but you can sort of hear it
boating with your buds
your buds inviting you to come along and step up to the next level
the feel of the water under your boat
beautiful scenery (even if it's a roadside run)
feeling cocky and confident then getting put back in place by the power of water

that's at least a start
Old 08-06-2007   #7

nowhere

the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere above a huge drop that you know you just don't have the option of not making your line. and then the feeling you get when you're sticking the crux of that line knowing that no matter what happens when you get off the river it's never going to be as consequencial as that moment which then, in the pool below gives you an incomparable feeling of peace.

HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #8

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
I like driving around Boulder with my squirt, creek, & playboat on my car so I look cool
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #9

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I like driving around Boulder with my squirt, creek, & playboat on my car so I look cool
Driving down the road and you see someone with those boats on their car and wondering a) if you've ever boated with them, and b) where they're going, and c) why you aren't with 'em. . .
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
double post
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking