Yosemite Phenomenon - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yosemite Phenomenon

This isn't gnar footage of boaters getting worked or stomping drops, but its a great video on how freaking cool water is, in its many forms.

YouTube - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 9 - Frazil Ice

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011   #2

The Bitterroot, Montana
There is also some REALLY sick illegal whitewater in that park. Most far far to stout for me but some managable drops too. I used to work for SAR there and the park system just sucks! The Abby Initiative would do that place a ton of good.... and so would legal kayaking.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #3

Boulder, Colorado
So, I just did a quick search to see what came up and although I didn't see anything above "beginner/intermediate" it appears you can kayak in the park after purchasing an inexpensive permit.

Quote:
Inside Grand Teton National Park, paddle from Jackson Lake Dam to Pacific Creek. This is a great half-day trip. Enjoy excellent fishing for cutthroat trout. See eagles nesting. We recommend a side-trip to the Oxbow Bend area. Skill Level: intermediate; Distance: 5 miles; Average Time: 2-4 hours; Put in: Jackson Lake Dam; Take out: Pacific Creek Landing; Hazards: River obstacles, swift current. To kayak inside Yellowstone Park and Grand Teton national parks, you must have a boat permit. A seven-day permit for a non-motorized vessel in Grand Teton Park costs $5 ($10 for annual permit) and can be purchased at the Moose or Colter Bay Visitor Centers. In Yellowstone, the cost is $5 for a 7-day permit or $10 for a season permit. Obtain permits at the Lewis Lake Ranger Station, Grant Village Visitor Center, Bridge Bay Marina and the Lake Ranger Station. For paddlers looking to camp overnight, a backcountry permit is required. Stop in at a ranger station for information on obtaining a permit to camp.
I would be psyched to get in there on a kayak gnar or not!

Are there any initiatives out there to provide access to the stuff you're referring to Montuckyhuck? Post links if so, I would like to read about it.

Season's a comin'!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kayaking The Yellowstone Region- Yellowstone River Snake Teton Henry's Gors Ventre
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The frazil ice clip was cool; glad I saw that.

I'm curious why you are posting yellowstone and teton park rules on a Yosemite thread.

There is lots of sick boating on the Merced in yosemite that has been poached, but remains very off limits.

The best stuff seems to be off limits in ALL of those parks.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #5

The Bitterroot, Montana
No initiative I know of for jellystone or yosimite. As far as I know you can get a permit for a very flat, mostly roadside, tuber crouded stretch of the merced and all the goods remain off limits. Drive to Tualimne, put on under the bridge and float through a medow avoiding detection. At the first horizon line scout. Its about a 20ft slide and not super clean. All the drops down to vogelsang have been run a few are long and complicated. Hike about 8 miles to the road at vogelsang. You will probubly get a ticket. In the actual ditch you can put on in the meadows and take out in el portal. The portageing is intense.

Gtnp has some legal scenic boating, jellystone does not to my knowledge. I have heard rumers of one of the best most full on runs in the country in that park.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Hey dave, I just mixed up my parks is all-had YS on the brain when I meant to be searching yosemite.