Yoga for Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: Yoga for Kayaking in Boulder??
Yes! 7 100.00%
Eh... nah. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2014   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Yoga for Kayaking

Hey everyone,

I'm a boater and a yoga teacher, and I wanted to put out there the idea of an off-season weekly yoga class for kayakers in or around Boulder. After my first winter of practicing yoga, I noticed a huge change in my abilities on the water. Releasing the hip flexors, psoas, and side body muscles can totally open up new worlds as far as flexibility goes.

Would anybody be interested in something like this in or around Boulder? It would likely be a $5 suggested donation type of thing.

Thanks everyone and Namaste,

Jules

PS: feel free to "like" my facebook page if you're interested in this type of stuff in the future. facebook.com/riveryogi

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My good buddy Bwest is a yoga instructor. Whenever we go kayaking he is always flipping over and swimming and stuff. I think that yoga is probably detrimental and dangerous for serious kayakers. I bet yoga helps out for real sports like frisbee golf, skiiing, polo, hunting, and four wheeling though.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for your input, I will try to keep that in mind. I am curious about why you think it would be "detrimental and dangerous", other than your experience with your friend. I am having a hard time seeing how increasing body awareness and building core strength and flexibility could be outright bad for kayaking.

Thanks again for your reply.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
My good buddy Bwest is a yoga instructor. Whenever we go kayaking he is always flipping over and swimming and stuff. I think that yoga is probably detrimental and dangerous for serious kayakers. I bet yoga helps out for real sports like frisbee golf, skiiing, polo, hunting, and four wheeling though.
'Real sports'!!?? Your stupidity is obvious and no further comment is necessary!!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #5

colorado springs, Colorado
Always wondered about the "suggested donation" is that just a way to say I need $5 a head to do the class? If it is, say it. If it is truly a donation, don't be picky. I'm a yoga teacher and a paddler as well, and hell yes it helps. I went from class 0 to class 5 after just a couple classes. Problem is, yoga people usually take themselves to damn seriously. Super hard to paddle when you're busy patting yourself on the back for being so giving with your knowledge.

Namaste Bitches!!
henrylightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylightcap View Post
Always wondered about the "suggested donation" is that just a way to say I need $5 a head to do the class? If it is, say it. If it is truly a donation, don't be picky.
I'd think it means what it says. She suggests that $5 is a fair price, but pay what you can afford or what you think the class is worth. I've never been to a yoga class, but I'd think $5 is pretty inexpensive and would be inclined to donate more if I thought it was a good class.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The problem with male kayakers going to yoga class is that yoga session leads to yoga group happy hour, group happy hour leads to a date, date leads to relationship, relationship leads to no kayaking, no kayaking leads to beat down next time Tango takes you to his favorite run.

I kind of like the idea of the yoga class thing, would probably check it out, but realistically probably wouldn't be able to attend very regularly.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
My opinion, if you give the yoga class and your rate is 5 bucks to attend, just post that up front and don't get into the donation arena. The less confusion the better.

As far as Yoga and kayaking, I have been doing "easy" yoga at the local YMCA since I had a rear end truck accident. Easy yoga to our YMCA means the instructor lets us use a folding chair for a balance aid on the one legged poses. Ran out of physical therapy insurance after the truck accident and my P/T advised I should do "easy" yoga. Yoga classes are included in my local YMCA yearly dues. Which means after morning yoga I can hit the exercise machines, running track, stair steppers, hot tub, swimming pool, showers etc.

After my accident in late 2012, several of my doctors recommended yoga. At this point in time, if I do not do the yoga back and legs seem to tighten up so I do yoga on a regular basis.

My opinion is much easier to kayak, row, or most any muscle powered sport if you keep your muscles flexible and toned a bit. That is exactly what yoga does for me.

A good yoga program is not going to teach you all the skill sets you need for kayaking but I think it makes it easier for your body to do all the flexible moves that kayaking involves a lot easier.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #9

Tucson, Arizona
there is no off season.
commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Creek Hanauer gave us some evening yoga lessons on a Grand Canyon trip and it was the trick to getting my aging body to survive 2 weeks in a Necky Jive.

I'd be into some more kayak oriented yoga and $5 is a good deal for yoga in Boulder.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking