Year round kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-22-2013   #1

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Year round kayaking?

I'm just wondering if there are any cool places to live that you can kayak year round in the US. Possibly with a decent selection of classes. Heard some places in Oregon but was wanting some specifics. Getting tired of snowboarding being my only option!

livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Been a couple good threads on that, consensus is Pac NW or SE for most people, I would choose the Pac NW:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-35970.html

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ions-3058.html
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
There is always something going in PNW between portland and seattle. Hood river is nice!! Also, almost year round snowboarding. You can get all kinds of good low paying jobs out that way too. good luck.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013   #4

Prineville, Oregon
Been living in OR for over a year now. The Columbia Gorge is amazing, but there are good runs all over the state. Lots of wild and scenic runs as well. Year round paddling for sure. Winter boating here rocks. Paddled 13 new rivers last year.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #5

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the info. Guess I shoulda used the search function!
livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Asheville, NC
jay71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #7

golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Lots of options!

PNW seems to be great, but I haven't spent a ton of time there.
From my experience:
Reno/Tahoe/Sac is actually very good for year-round kayaking....it would be amongst my top 3 choices for sure. The Reno WW park usually has year round water to paddle, and the creeking in Cali is, in my humble opinion, the best in the world.
On the east coast, the Washington DC area is excellent: the potomac runs year round with class 1 - 5 just outside the city at Great Falls, and good playboating....you're also 3-5 hours' drive from hundreds or thousands of other great runs in WV, PA, MD, and VA.
Asheville is great if you like to creek.
Columbus, GA would be great if you like to play.
Fayetteville, WV is pretty freakin awesome as well....with a playboat, creekboat, and squirt boat, you could paddle something world class for one of those disciplines 300 days a year.

All of those areas might have a winter where a cold snap makes you not want to kayak for a month or so (except Columbus). But they're all great
Hope that helps!!!
Stephen
stephenwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwright View Post
Fayetteville, WV is pretty freakin awesome as well....with a playboat, creekboat, and squirt boat, you could paddle something world class for one of those disciplines 300 days a year.

Stephen

This is what I was gonna say. I have about 50 intermediate and expert runs mapped in the immediate vicinity of Fayetteville, and it's a pretty cool, albeit small, town too.

If you live a little closer to the interstate and in central WV like in Sutton, you'll have pretty quick access to about 185 intermediate and expert runs across the state that I know of in less than a 2 hour drive (there are hundreds more), although not nearly as many close by as Fayetteville....and if you like slow/flat water and/or fishing you might as well nearly triple those numbers.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking