Yardsale in Golden Whitewater Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2008   #1

Yardsale in Golden Whitewater Park

So I hate even admitting to this, but here I go....no shit, there I was... it was about sundown on the Golden playpark when I decided to do one last surf on the lowest drop of the park. So I got in the wave proceded to flip and not role back up. I tried to roll, but I just wasn't in a place where I could role back up. I swam, and my boat and paddle went downstream. I saw the concrete walls coming up, and I wasn't sure if I could get out past that spot, so I swam out of the river. If I would have known better I would have kept swimming because there's a big pool before the Coors inlet low head dams. Instead I lost my green Wavesport EZG60, new Aquabound paddle, throw rope, and wild wasser float storage bags. What a shitty day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's about a grand lost somewhere in Coors. The people at the plant have been really helpful and understanding. The gear simply disapeared in the vast array of low head dams, head gates, and spillways in the Coors plant. Coors has been really helpful, and I couldn't ask for more from them. However, if anyone has found gear fitting this description, please give me a call at 303-501-0257. This whole F!!!!UP occurred back around May 20 or May 21.

Thanks,
Curtis

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Bummer --- Look Downstream

That definitely is a shitty day, sorry to hear about that..

It may be too late, but you should not assume that the boat got hung up in the Coors Plant. If it did they probably would have found it right away. Most likely it is hung up on one of the numerous strainers in urban clear creek, or has already been pulled from the creek.

You should get on a mountain bike and ride the clear creek trail top to bottom. It is highly unlikely your boat made it all the way to the South Platte, esp because the water hasn't been real high yet. there are lots of places where you cant see both banks of the river, and for the first couple miles below coors the trail is not near the river.

If nothing else you will get to scout El Bronco, and shopping cart falls and numerous killer dams. GOOD LUCK
Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan De Confluence View Post
That definitely is a shitty day, sorry to hear about that..

It may be too late, but you should not assume that the boat got hung up in the Coors Plant. If it did they probably would have found it right away. Most likely it is hung up on one of the numerous strainers in urban clear creek, or has already been pulled from the creek.

You should get on a mountain bike and ride the clear creek trail top to bottom. It is highly unlikely your boat made it all the way to the South Platte, esp because the water hasn't been real high yet. there are lots of places where you cant see both banks of the river, and for the first couple miles below coors the trail is not near the river.

If nothing else you will get to scout El Bronco, and shopping cart falls and numerous killer dams. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the advice Juan of Confluence. I road most of the area, but I didn't see anything. I guess that's the way it goes. Good idea anyway.

Curtis
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010   #4

Thanks for sharing your story. There's some lessons to be learned, mainly that the Golden whitewater course is ROWDY! WOTSR says it's a place where feeble beginners take their first strokes, but that is straight-up bullshit, unless they have a deathwish. You are lucky to have escaped with your life. Please be more careful next time, and don't paddle alone. I am tired of reading about kayakers dying. Did you find any of your gear?
Old 03-05-2010   #5

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Curtis must've found his gear cause its now lodged in Zion Narrows somewhere....kidding...kidding.
(was too easy for a friday morning)
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6

Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Lost gear

for real cemartin, we need to keep you in your boat. These stories are too much
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Good luck finding your gear! I wish people would back off a bit on C. It took some guts to post this and you can bet it was not easy for him given the prior events (maybe shaking his confidence a bit too given the circumstances).

I agree that Golden is more than you would expect, its not so much the features, but the pace of the water (and its cold, we went in early June). Eddys come and go quickly so you can't sissy dip like many class threes in the state.
Old 03-05-2010   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
yeah. lets not bust his balls, and try to post relative to the dates in the thread its not like he swam yesterday.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #9
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Did not even catch the date, guess this was another high road the buzz can be so popular for.
Old 03-05-2010   #10

Golden, Colorado
I swam in the Golden library park last year. Early season, Library hole. I was like, "WTF, I can't roll, I'm going to die on Black Rock this year!!!!" It happens.

Actually, a class III swim once in a while is the perfect eye opener and is guaranteed to be followed by some serious roll tuning. I'd rather swim in the park after a winter of no pool sessions than jump on Escalante or Bear Creek or whatever else runs early and find out my roll is rusty.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark