Yampa River article - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2006   #1
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
Yampa River article

Anyone see the article about pulling water from the last free flowing river in CO? Plan is to build the pipeline from west of Steamboat where they will SUCK H20 for Front Range. Goodbye Crossiver Gorge and below! Bloody crap never ends, must fight this good fight!

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006   #2

I haven't seen the article, but an uphill pipeline can only carry 100-200 cfs. When the Yampa is running at 5000 cfs, I don't think you will notice.

And the farmers along the Yampa are taking out 200-500 cfs.

Shut down front range water and the front range will move to the mountains. You want that?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
i really don't think you can call the yampa free flowing. the bear river in the flattops wilderness area is one of the biggest tributaries and it even has a huge reservoir (stillwater reservoir) on it before the water even runs into the yampa. then just downstream of oak creek there is "stagecoach reservoir". then "lake catamount" is just downstream of that. lake catamount isn't really a lake it is a reservoir also. i was under the impression that free flowing meant no dams on a river. if that is the case then the yampa isn't free flowing
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah, but the river is still only a few hundred cfs up there.....by free flowing, were talking no big dams, ala blue mesa res, or pueblo res, or cheesman, that stop the big, few thousand cfs rivers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #5
rhm

a dam is a dam. it isn't free flowing as long as someone can hold back water and release it at will
Old 09-13-2006   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
the scary thing about that article wasn't the potential depletion of the yampa (that's bad enough), but that the main guy quoted in the article (a water commissioner i think) said that the state's water policy is changing overall to meet demands on the front range, meaning that the balance of water is shifting from drainage-wide to statewide. that will affect every major drainage in the state if that's true.
Old 09-21-2006   #7
rhm

here is the steamboat today article about pumping yampa river water over to the front range.

http://www2.steamboatpilot.com/news/...g_yampa_river/
Old 09-21-2006   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
all i gotta say is I hope the front range is ready for a huge legal battle....

we finally won our Union Park battle here in Gunny after 20 some odd years with that fuckstick Dave Miller, who seems to think he "knows whats best" for OUR community, even though he lives 200 miles away.....his new plan is to build a pipeline from Blue Mesa to Union Park and then somehow move that water to ABOVE the trout creek pumping plant, so it could THEN be transferred down into the South Platte Basin....i tell ya, some of these front rangers seem to think that we just dont care what happens over here on our side of the mountains and that all we want is just huge pipelines and reservoirs to suck more of our water away.........
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #9

freeloader
Basil, do you want the people who propose these plans to think they have free reign on the west slope's water?

Allowing them to create this project, on one of the countries last free-flowing rivers (yes the Yampa is considered free-flowing), validates their idea that they have the right to take all of the west slopes water.

The answer is not to give them more water, it's to make them conserve water they already overuse. The acres of irrigated lawn in the denver metroplitan area is the real problem. For example the miles of lawn adjacent to 36 going through Broomfield.

ASk yourself if having lawn alongside the freeways on the frontrange is more important than native fish species and kayaking.

Remember there is a round table board that has the power to prevent this atrocity from happening, in which the recreational and environmental perspectives are seriously under-represented. If you care about our rivers you should do what you can to stop these deuchebags from exploiting them
Old 09-21-2006   #10

kato, did your girlfriend write this paper for you?

Just kidding, nicely said man, we'd have to re-write the monkey wrench gang if that shiat went down.
waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote