Yampa Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2013   #1

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Yampa Questions

Just found out I won an early June private permit on the Yampa. I've never been on the Yampa before, and I'm looking for any advice you might have for me: camps, hikes, layovers, etc. Thanks!

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
With the resent rock fall, Warm Springs Rapid will be all new. Any info from last year will likely not be correct.
I wish I got to see it this spring. It will be interesting to hear the stories as this years trip reports come in.
Old 03-05-2013   #3

Bisters, Oregon
Warm springs should be interesting. Hopefully it won't require a por-taj. Anyway, if someone felt inclined to comment on a side canyon they thought was especially cool, or a camp they really enjoyed, that would be great. I'm stoked to see a classic river that I've always wanted to explore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013   #4

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am launching on May 15 and will post about Warm Springs. Good hiking at Big Joe, Harding Hole and Jones Hole camps. The hike to wagon wheel point at Harding offers magnificent views. Short hike to signature cave is also very cool stop and it is river right just downstream from Harding. Mantle cave is another good stop. Some great camps are Ponderosa, Mathers, Box elder 3, Jones hole 1. Harding 3 camp has a rock strewn landing and is one camp to avoid if possible. Good luck as all camps are assigned during high use season.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We put in on June 9th

I've read all the threads I could find and watched a bunch of Youtube about the Yampa but apparently all the vids of Warm Springs are moot. That right line looked pretty straight forward before, maybe not so much now.
Any more beta would be appreciated.
Best Camps, Side Hikes, Petroglyphs, play spots, anything else ??
Old 03-05-2013   #6

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The NPS did a great report and photo documentary. You can find it at Dinos web page. Go to private/non-commercial boating info and look for 2012 rockfall at Warm Springs rapid. Great photos and info about this event. The photos were taken at very low water in a drought year. One can only speculate what it will be like at higher flows.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #7

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Just camp,they're all good.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinoa View Post
The NPS did a great report and photo documentary. You can find it at Dinos web page. Go to private/non-commercial boating info and look for 2012 rockfall at Warm Springs rapid. Great photos and info about this event. The photos were taken at very low water in a drought year. One can only speculate what it will be like at higher flows.
2012 Rock Fall at Warm Springs Rapid - Dinosaur National Monument
Good resource
Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013   #9

Bisters, Oregon
Thanks keen-wa for the hiking suggestions. Good hiking from specific camps is the info I was hoping for. As is true of any trip, whatever happens will be plenty fun. The situation at warm springs is also fine however it turns out. Since this is my first experience with the Yampa, I'm new to their campsite assignment situation. I plan on requesting the extra day, 6 nights instead of 5? Hoping that works out. So, I request my preferred camps for the whole trip, and wait for approval, is that right?
Old 03-05-2013   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana

Looks to me like:
Enter left with a left angle then get right quick