yaksling - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2007   #1

yaksling

Has anyone had any experience with a yaksling or kayak carrying backpack? I think NRS makes it. My wife is small and has a hard time carrying hers, which basically means I end up carrying two kayaks, not fun.

ole_nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
big enough to boat... big enough to carry the boat!

big enough to boat... big enough to carry the boat!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #3

If only it were that easy. Have you heard of the term "Happy wife, happy life"? It's very true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007   #4

Bozeman, Montana
some simple rules to make life easier!

when your wife is not caring her boat, hows that a happy life?

happy life is boating with out the spouse on some hard core shit and having her have the dinner ready when you get home.

1st rule. if you are going to date a boater chic, meet them when they know how to boat,
2 rule. do not be the teacher of the boater chic if you are boyfriend or husband, to much drama!
3rd rule be ready for her to kick your ass in a couple years if shes the one saying lets go boating!
4th rule if you meet a boater chic! she always carry her gear unless some carnage has happened.
Old 08-28-2007   #5

Mike, you seem like a very young man with no experience with women. Anyhow, I'm not trying to argue your values of women, I just wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with said backpack, so that she CAN carry her own boat. If you don't have any experience with said backpack, I guess there's not much to post. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007   #6

Bozeman, Montana
good advice

big enough to boat... big enough to carry the boat

heres my 2 cents might help you more than a backpack!
Old 08-28-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
The NRS backpack is great for the price...but you have to spend a bit of time rigging them correctly, otherwise the boat flops around and is a pain. Its also more cumbersome that a normal backpack and much less comfortable, but for what it is, it's a great product
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #8

Maybe try revamping the foam on the hip-pads to make it more comfortable on her shoulder. I started boating when I was really small and it took awhile to get the carry dialed. A small playboat is usually easier to carry too. The NRS packs are sweet, but not really worth it for short walks.

Not only do Casper girls not need help with portages, they usually have sick 4X4s and guns. I heard chicks in Casper even put roofies in their own beverages - that way guys can spend their money on boats instead of bitches. All in all a pretty convenient set-up, because the gnar-core Casper bro-brahs can stomp the local sickness all day and the local girls are ready and waiting at the takeout.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #9

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
NRS Paragon Pack

I've used the NRS Paragon Pack (#2933, $49.95) for all sorts of awkward loads— breakdown frames, bundles of oars, dryboxes— and it's great for humping gear up or down those class V put-in and takeouts. Being light and compact, it rides on trips when there are potential portages.

That said, there's one feature that might be a problem for hauling a hard 'yak. There's a mesh support with 2" center strap sewn to the bottom of the back panel, that continues to a center plastic buckle sewn to the top center. That strap isn't long enough to work with a 'yak.

You might be able to fabricate a jumper sling, with a matching plastic buckle on two-inch web, sewn to two 1" straps, to go around both rails of the yak at bottom and top. One or two adjustable cross straps (like the chest strap on a backpack) could keep it from sliding.

The sewing would take a commercial machine.

good luck,
Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #10

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm gonna get one, I'll let ya'll know how good/bad it is. The sewing shouldn't be a problem, I work with someone who sews flight gear for Naval pilots.