WWR and WFR courses - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-03-2010   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
WWR and WFR courses

It's time to start looking for Spring courses and I'm planning on taking a WFR again (I'd like to take a 5 day with 2 weekend days) and my girlfriend and I want to take a White Water Rescue course together. She is a beginner in an IK but will be stepping it up on the Poudre this year, I'm a veteran who hasn't taken SWR since '02.

If anyone knows of a good WFR or WWR course (on river would be sweet but she's limited in her experience so we may have to practice on river later) feel free to post here.

I don't care who the certifications are through, as long as my CPR is accredited.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Take it from the man himself...Devorshak (not spelled right)

Also as long as you have been recerting your WFR you should not need to take another, unless you want to take it with the gf

How you been Randal?
Old 01-03-2010   #3

Mad Scientist/Creeker
We offer kayaking specific 2 day intensive rescue courses. Unlike anything else you will take - scenario based and extremely hands on. Not sure of the dates yet but we will definitely have one on the Poudre sometime in May.

Kayak Instruction, Swiftwater Rescue, Colorado - Downstream Edge

We have an amazing group of instructors including Nick Wigston, Tommy Hilleke and myself, and this is probably the most inexpensive course you can take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Jon, I'd take the class from Bill but he offers it at RMA and Costlow doesn't like me since I cashed a 3 year old paycheck. Plus I think he's a penis. I haven't been re-certifying the WFR, just keeping up with WFA and CPR but I want to take it again. WFR was the best class I've ever taken. I'm doing good. Your brother and his lady took all my money at the poker table last week so I'll be looking for an affordable course. Call me and let's get a beer soon.

Evan, We'd love to take the class. What kind of river running skills are needed? We both duckie together and I raft guide on the Poudre. I'm good to go on anything but the gnarrows, but she'll be limited to easier class III, though a swim or two would probably be good for her.
Old 01-03-2010   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
I should have checked the link before I asked. We may need to be in different classes. Since I'm an IKer, but self rescue well, could I take the Advanced class?

Maybe we'll get a crew together and book a custom course...
Old 01-04-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
The Rocky Mountain Rescue Center will be hosting a series of Rescue 3 Swiftwater Rescue Technician and Whitewater Rescue Technician courses this spring and summer on the Arkansas, Blue and on Clear Creek.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or for more information. We are in the process of setting up our 2010 schedule and I would be happy to try and work with you on dates and locations.

You can reach me at [email protected] or 719-221-6716

Eric Young
RMRC
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Randaddy - I just like to say that moniker - You guys could definitely do a custom course and I'd be willing to do it if you can just find one or two other people even. We could also work you into either the beginner (1 day) or advanced rescue (2 day) if you are both comfortable dealing with a few hard shell paddlers. Duckys would be fine for the class and we could do some IK specific scenarios that would probably be fun for everyone (IK's are way easier to pin than kayaks). We focus a lot on river running technique and rescue situations that are group kayak specific, both of which are really no different in duckys.

I will keep you posted as we should have the dates for courses worked out in the near future.
Old 01-04-2010   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverWrangler View Post
Randaddy - I just like to say that moniker - You guys could definitely do a custom course and I'd be willing to do it if you can just find one or two other people even. We could also work you into either the beginner (1 day) or advanced rescue (2 day) if you are both comfortable dealing with a few hard shell paddlers. Duckys would be fine for the class and we could do some IK specific scenarios that would probably be fun for everyone (IK's are way easier to pin than kayaks). We focus a lot on river running technique and rescue situations that are group kayak specific, both of which are really no different in duckys.

I will keep you posted as we should have the dates for courses worked out in the near future.
Thanks! I think we'll find a couple of other people and do a custom course that includes IK, kayak, and raft scenarios. I'm looking forward to it!
I'll be in touch as the Spring draws near.

~R
Old 01-04-2010   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljerk View Post
The Rocky Mountain Rescue Center will be hosting a series of Rescue 3 Swiftwater Rescue Technician and Whitewater Rescue Technician courses this spring and summer on the Arkansas, Blue and on Clear Creek.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or for more information. We are in the process of setting up our 2010 schedule and I would be happy to try and work with you on dates and locations.

You can reach me at [email protected] or 719-221-6716

Eric Young
RMRC
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I think we'll do a course a little closer to home but I'm sure people appreciate the post and will sign up. I've been a slacker with my rescue education the past few years. We should all step it up and take a course this year!
Old 01-05-2010   #10

Mad Scientist/Creeker
In a nutshell, we paddle down the river as group, one of our instructors blows up in some form or fashion and everybody else makes the rescue. Then somebody else blows up and we do it all over again, and again until you can't help but be somewhat comfortable with some carnage and how to respond to it. So it doesn't really matter what craft your in, it's all interchangeable from the vehicle of carnage to the vehicle of rescue.