WW OC1 Question... - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2009   #1

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
WW OC1 Question...

I am looking to get into a OC1 and convert an old K1 to C1 for something new.

Anyone know much about a Mohawk Rodeo? , found one used and want to know if the boat is too aggresive for a new OC1er..

I have canoe'd class 1/2 for a few years and been kayaking on an off for about 12 years (III/IV experience).

Any feeback would be great. The K1 to C1 conversion is going to be a Stubby, any feed back on that welcomed.

-Jamie

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009   #2

Never paddled a Rodeo, but shorter usually means more fun. I could put you in contact with someone who has one. I have a well used Ocoee, I'd sell you for cheap.

Some paddlers get frustrated with boats like the Ocoee because the hard chine catches them by surprise. Others use the sharp edge to obtain better control in whitewater.

What do you hope to run in the canoe?

The WS Stubby is too narrow for me to paddle C-1. I look for boats close to 26" wide, but I use a 6" tall pedestal. I also look for cockpit with a wide front. You have to be positioned forward of the kayak seat for balance and there are cockpits that run out of room for your thighs in the front.

You'll find others opinions here: www.cboats.net
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've only spent about 5 minutes in a rodeo so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My impression is that it is a very stable and forgiving canoe compared to most in the 10 ft. range.

If you're a gung-ho kind of paddler and don't mind swimming a bit during the learning curve I would say go for it. I learned oc-1 in a 14 ft. boat and I quickly grew out of it and looked for something smaller and am happy I did.
klund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009   #4

My friend Jeremy Laucks is currently starting a new OC-1 company making his boat designs. If you didn't know, Jeremy and his designs are currently the world Champs!
Check it out at Chasing Rain- Home page of God's Gift's to Whitewater and contact him if your interested!
WesternMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #5

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
Never paddled a Rodeo, but shorter usually means more fun. I could put you in contact with someone who has one. I have a well used Ocoee, I'd sell you for cheap.

Some paddlers get frustrated with boats like the Ocoee because the hard chine catches them by surprise. Others use the sharp edge to obtain better control in whitewater.

What do you hope to run in the canoe?

The WS Stubby is too narrow for me to paddle C-1. I look for boats close to 26" wide, but I use a 6" tall pedestal. I also look for cockpit with a wide front. You have to be positioned forward of the kayak seat for balance and there are cockpits that run out of room for your thighs in the front.

You'll find others opinions here: www.cboats.net
I'm borrowing a canoe right now but I'm looking to get one of my own. Is that Ocoee still available, and if so how much? You can PM me if you'd like, in fact I'll probably PM you.
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #6

Teacher
Wide flat playboats make nice c-1 conversions. Nice and Cheap as well. Being able to slice the ends under helps. I would agree the wider the better. However I paddled a medieval c-1 for two years. Paddled slaughter house and shoshone a fair amount. Make sure and build up hip blocks about the cockpit rim. I would agree about the Ocoee, great boat 16 years later.

Peter