WTH is up with DWB releases from Chatfield? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2008   #1

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
WTH is up with DWB releases from Chatfield?

There's a ton of water being released above Chatfield, but they shut the tap off here in town. Anyone know what their problem is?

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008   #2
sj

Mike I could be wrong but a number of things could be in play. Stronita diverts water to Denver for use. Highline Canal takes. And Centenial water has that new Res in the gravel pit just north of Chatfeild. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #3

Parker, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Mike I could be wrong but a number of things could be in play. Stronita diverts water to Denver for use. Highline Canal takes. And Centenial water has that new Res in the gravel pit just north of Chatfeild. sj

I asked about the amt of water that they are using to fill in the new Res a bit ago. Dan O said that they weren't filling it that much and that other users took more. I'm wondering if this has changed or if the lower users are tapping in. In any case, the new Res doesn't look like it's filling very fast..
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
Remember that there are two types of water in the river: natural flows and reservoir releases. Just because there's water below a reservoir doesn't mean it's releasing, it could just be passing through.The call on the South Platte is VERY senior right now, which may have something to do with the low below Chatfield flow. The call is senior because it's been dry as Cheney's tears on the plains (that includes Denver, in the plains). A few major gully washers above Chatfield in the Plum Creek drainage, and Chatfield will probably begin passing more water through...looking stormy out there right now...go Monsoon season!

I believe that the max fill rate of the Centennial reservoir is about 70 cfs, and that they will not be taking that much for some time. Strontia is just a little forebay for DWB, it really doesn't store much water. (Strontia was meant to be a forebay for the Two Forks Reservoir, only the bigger pond never got built, so it's a bummer that they built Strontia, which prematurely ends a fantastic canyon.)

On the bright side, even though Union and Confluence are low, there's lots of other stuff that is going strong. Take for example Metsewco: Denver is flushing a total 250 cfs of wastewater. Peak brown flow is around noon, so err..git sum son...or whatever that means.

Here's a South Platte system update as of now (I'm not privy to forecasts): Cheeseman is more or less passing, Chatfied is storing about 250 cfs, Strontia is more or less passing (as per ususal). Roberts is bringing in about 350 from Dillon to the NFSP, and most of that is then diverted near Strontia above Chatfied by Denver's municipal system. The Highline Canal is off.

It's been so dry for so long that I'd hesitate until after the first Tstorm runoff surge before getting in the metro South Platte.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #5

Parker, Colorado
These are the sweet details that I haunt this board for. Getting this level of detail on waterflows is great.

BTW, how much longer do you think they'll be releasing/passing from Cheesman? I'm curious how much longer Deckers will be floatable.
Old 07-17-2008   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcat View Post
These are the sweet details that I haunt this board for. Getting this level of detail on waterflows is great.

BTW, how much longer do you think they'll be releasing/passing from Cheesman? I'm curious how much longer Deckers will be floatable.
In regards to my post earlier and the types of water in the river, there's a third type...return flows. Metsew is an example of return flows. Irrigation also produces return flows.

How much longer for below Cheesecake? Probably a little while as most of the reservoirs from Cheese up are nearly full. I always say it, but if you're a beginner and there's not enough water in Deckers, there are some great little sections between Foxton's boulders and Waterton Canyon to cut your teeth on. Happy floatin.
Old 07-17-2008   #7

Parker, Colorado
Hey now, the lil tykes like Cheescake! Still, after we throw the family out of the boat, we're looking for something to take things up a notch once we're done with Chutes.

Which sections of Foxton remain class III?
Old 07-17-2008   #8

So Union Chutes at 27 CFS is correct?

When I saw 25 CFS at Union Chutes, that's not a broken gage? It's REALLY that low?
schubutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #9

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcat View Post
Which sections of Foxton remain class III?
Between the boulder garden and Foxton Road is Class II/III. The drop right near Foxton Road, behind the big boulder could be III+...if you do well on the rapid by that big boulder, you're ready for anything else below the Boulder Garden on Foxton. Between the lower Foxton takeout (downstream of the shanty town) and Waterton Canyon is all Class II. The first 1/2ish mile of Waterton Canyon is Class II as well. It's mostly roadside, so you can see the substantial rapids and gage difficulty for yourself.
Old 07-17-2008   #10

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by schubutt View Post
When I saw 25 CFS at Union Chutes, that's not a broken gage? It's REALLY that low?
That's correct. I drive over the Platte at Mineral every day, and was astounded by the winter flows in July this morning.