WS Diesel?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2005   #1

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
WS Diesel??

Hey folks,
Anyone out there paddling a WS Diesel as a creek boat?
Pros?
Cons?

Would be used primarily for class III & IV SE'tern creeks (I only mention the regional thing 'cause we run things a little bony here sometimes).... I've been considering other creekers (true creekers, not all-arounders like the diesel) and planned to wait to buy until the first of the year, but had a decent price offered on a Diesel--??
Thanks for any feedback you guys may have~!

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I think it is a fine river runner but that is the limit of my experience with it. Very much like the h3.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #3

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
All I know is I got yelled at on another post because I said the Diesel wasn't a creek boat so I guess people out there use it as such. I'm sure if you don't plan on running the gnar it would be a great creeker for you, especially if you're light.
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005   #4
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Dont worry, I dont think she plans on runnin the gnar

Pros-easy to paddle, easy to not catch edges, great RR
Cons-not a true creeker (you neither) and its not a jefe
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #5

Front Range, Colorado
BSoE - Thanks so much for your *thoughtful* reply... you know, *thoughtful*, UNLIKE -->SOME PEOPLE<-- around here! (like say, FLOWTORCH, for instance??) Yeah, at 5'8", 130+/- lbs, finding a creekboat that fits is (and has been) a bit of b!tch.

FLOWTORCH - That's it, I'm kicking your ass, mister... You are SO cut off!! LOL

What I'm looking for actually would be more in the vein of a mini-Jefe, but LL's not planning on making 'em smaller?? Maybe there's an obvious option out there that I'm just not seeing/ finding, though? The diesel is/ was a decent price, so I figured I'd run it past the experts here("experts" = everyone but FLOW :P ) for feedback first.....
Old 10-24-2005   #6

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What about a Huck? The CFS is pretty small, too, and people like it. What you really might want to try to find is an old Wavesport Stubby. Good luck, though. Try a google search.
Old 10-24-2005   #7

Front Range, Colorado
BSoE - I haven't been able to get into a Huck to demo one yet, but it's definitely on my radar screen. We're heading up to the NOC GAF fest this wknd, so I was kinda planning to see what I couldn't sweet-talk folks into letting me try out while we're there??

I was kinda thinking if I went ahead and did the Diesel deal, I might've been able to talk myself into believing I purchased a "creeker" for a decent price-- which would've hopefully gotten my mind off the fact the creek boat I've been lusting after is just too damned big for me.
Old 10-24-2005   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You might want to look around for a peception java. It would probably be pretty cheap if you could find one. Its only 65 gallons and I knew a girl who couldn't have been more than 110 lbs and paddled it on class V. Just don't expect a replacement if you break it.

Josh
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
If you are looking at displacment type creekers then the Java would probably be a good choice. Some people swear by em. Hard to find though.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #10

I am 5'11 175 and I have used my Diesel 65 on the Suicide section of the Little River Ala. Upper Yough, Little River in SMNP, Crab Orchard, Clear Creek, Numbers in Co. Clear Creek Co, Gore, Pauley and Lavazolla Creeks in N.Ca., Kyburz section of the American and NF Yuba. That pretty much runs a good cross section of IV-IV+ Creeking and RR. I love the Deilsel 65. Best all-round boat I have ever had. (even though I am a bit heavy for it, by maybe 10-15 lbs. It runs drops very well (I've run many over 15 ft and 2 over 20ft and allot in between. It tracks very well so you make sure you are on line, it is very fast so you can fairy with confidence. It has all the safety loops for Creeking. At 175 lbs, it is only average on re-surfacing in drop holes for me, but at 135 lbs it should come up like a bobber for you. Unless you plan on owning a whole quiver of river rides, I'd latch on to the Deisel and have fun with it.
G-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote