wrong way in skull - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2012   #1

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
wrong way in skull

ran skull a little different yesterday, tried the upside down route in a paddle boat. Didn't work so well, bony swim, and one of my guests got recirc'd on the right side. however, there were some private boats in the room that helped with the yard sale, thanks for that. another guest later pointed out that the private's were filming, i'm looking for that video cause i'm trying to figure out what happened and where i might improve. by the way... it's taken six years to flip in westwater, I'm fine with it being another six before it happens again.

jr2hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012   #2

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Glad everyone's ok but def. looking forward to the video....
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #3

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Thought that said pedalboat! you know, kinda boxy, rigid plastic, pedals at your feet, always see them on lakes. . .

genius! now that's a first descent i'd like to see. forget fisher and the other guy and their 40 footer in a couch.

through skull in a pedalboat would be incredible.

who's in?
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012   #4

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm in!!!

I've even got one we can use.

DanCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themechanicnotthetool View Post
Thought that said pedalboat! you know, kinda boxy, rigid plastic, pedals at your feet, always see them on lakes. . .

genius! now that's a first descent i'd like to see. forget fisher and the other guy and their 40 footer in a couch.

through skull in a pedalboat would be incredible.

who's in?
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #5

Writer/Rafter
SKULL

Ran Skull yesterday in a 16 foot Hystide. Get left of the razor rock but do not be lulled by the look of slipping just left of Skull ... you can't. Saw a horrorible swim there about ten days ago. A gal was popped from her Shredder and swam right, got recirculated three times against the wall before being flushed into the room. And she is a strong swimmer.
steveskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #6

Fulford, Colorado
I'm in too! Whose got the go pros?
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskinner View Post
Ran Skull yesterday in a 16 foot Hystide. Get left of the razor rock but do not be lulled by the look of slipping just left of Skull ... you can't.

Yes you can. Ran it that way at the middle of June and at the end of last week as well, in a 16' cat. Put a tube on the right lateral, enter the first hole with pulls backward just before, slide up onto Skull a bit, and off and to the left.

One boat in our group chose to enter the hole above Skull Rock backward with some power, and as the water started spinning the boat around, dipped the left oar in the water and rather smoothly swung to the left and around the rock.

I'm not saying either option trivial to do, but it can be done. Certainly a far better option that the right slot.

In June, we watched Holiday run their boat far left and jam it into the slot there, and let the water force them through. Then again, these are large 20'+ commercial boats.

Quote:
Saw a horrorible swim there about ten days ago. A gal was popped from her Shredder and swam right, got recirculated three times against the wall before being flushed into the room. And she is a strong swimmer.

Agree with this; the far right slot is a nasty recirculating place.
dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #8

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Ran Skull yesterday in a 16 foot Hystide. Get left of the razor rock but do not be lulled by the look of slipping just left of Skull ... you can't. Saw a horrorible swim there about ten days ago. A gal was popped from her Shredder and swam right, got recirculated three times against the wall before being flushed into the room. And she is a strong swimmer.
I look at that line between razor and skull, to the left of skull rock every time and think "I can do that". I have never tried it and won't with all the warnings I have gotten, but it still looks inviting.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I ran Pinner's line several years ago. I got launched out of the seat and swam right but both passengers stayed in. The one in back said he barely felt a bump. I surfaced up against the wall by the hole and swam the right side kayak line with no problem. Didnt even lose my hat.
Old 07-16-2012   #10

Writer/Rafter
That does look inviting ...

to run up onto the left side of Skull Rock - I have not heard of too many people doing that and not getting knocked right for their trouble, but good to know.

Pinner
steveskinner is offline   Reply With Quote