Wrist pain with new paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2018   #1
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Wrist pain with new paddle

Hey Gang,

Quick background, I've been IK'ing for about 9 years and used a straight shaft with zero twist and everything was peachy. This last summer I started with a hardshell kayak and continued to use a straight shaft, zero angle paddle and that has been great.

Last week I decided to buy a Werner powerhouse, bent shaft R30 and I've taken it out on the river twice now and both times I start to get wrist pain in my right wrist (main hand) within a half hour or so. Very frustrating as I love the feel of the paddle and especially the blade in the water.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Hummm??? wrist pain. mmmmm. well all I can say is you need to cycle through paddles until you find the one.

It could be the shaft diameter? Blade shape? Maybe your still too "gripped" with your hold on the different paddle. Maybe your a 0 degree guy.

Did you stretch you hands out real good?

Could be a number of things combined.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2018   #3
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
I think I'm going to try eliminating the R30 variable. My son has a straight shaft R30 which I'll try this weekend. I wish Werner would make R0 paddles available without it being a custom order!

And FYI, I'm pretty good about doing warm ups before setting out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Just my gut feeling. I really can diagnose over the internets. I think your too gripped. Its supper common with a new paddle. I say stay with the same paddle for at least 3 floats. Let your grip relax and give the guns so time to adjust.
Old 04-11-2018   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
A 0 degree feather would probably make things worse. With no feather, you have to twist your wrist between paddling on each side. Mix that with the bent shaft, it may be hurting your wrist. A 45 to 60 degree paddle with proper paddling technique should solve that, but you may be better off getting rid of the bent shaft. And as mentioned above, there is a good chance you are gripping too tight.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #6
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Straight shaft

Many, many years kayaking. Always used a straight shaft. When bent shafts were the new thing, I tried one. Hurt my elbows. I have stuck with a straight shaft ever since. Cheaper and lighter.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #7
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
I could very well be gripping too tightly, and I will try and eliminate that as a possibility as well.

As far as the R30, like I mentioned before, I've been paddling the past 8+ years with a straight shaft, zero offset and never had pain. So either my technique sucks with the new paddle (which is quite possible!) or some other ergonomic problem is afoot, which I will endeavor to discover!

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hammer Factor causes sharp uptick in paddle overuse injuries.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #9
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Probably start by drinking more milk.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #10

Fort Collins
It is the pucker factor induced by a hardshell. Up until now, you have been in a boat that stays right side up all by itself. Now you are in a boat that stays upside down all by itself. I bet the added stress of keeping yourself upright translates into several things, the 1st of which being tenser muscles and grip. Hopefully more time will help you relax a bit , more. Trying the straight shaft does sound like a good control. Also, are the blades of the new paddle similar in size/shape to the old one. That adjustment could make a difference too.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app