Would switching to a Stomper from a Burn be an upgrade? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-11-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Would switching to a Stomper from a Burn be an upgrade?

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed a good bit, and I've read a number of reviews...

But for anyone who has experienced both, what are your impressions?

Specifically, I'm looking for a boat to race the green this fall... which means I'll have to start running Guerilla regularly.. Why haven't I done this in the past? Other than not having been there very regularly, my Burns edges + the notches eddyline currents running the race line (ie no eddy) freak me out!

Not that that one issue would make or break my decision, but in general as I start to run more and more consequential runs, I'm begining to wonder how much the edges really play off.

Maybe keep the burn for low water, micro eddy mank, and the stomper for everything else.

(BTW paddle a M 2010 Burn at 183lbs adn 5'11)

Thanks!

justinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Well, the stomper is really no different than the rpm.

*anyone taking that seriously really needs to focus more on mountainbuzz and less on paddling*
Old 07-12-2012   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm View Post
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed a good bit, and I've read a number of reviews...

But for anyone who has experienced both, what are your impressions?

Specifically, I'm looking for a boat to race the green this fall... which means I'll have to start running Guerilla regularly.. Why haven't I done this in the past? Other than not having been there very regularly, my Burns edges + the notches eddyline currents running the race line (ie no eddy) freak me out!

Not that that one issue would make or break my decision, but in general as I start to run more and more consequential runs, I'm begining to wonder how much the edges really play off.

Maybe keep the burn for low water, micro eddy mank, and the stomper for everything else.

(BTW paddle a M 2010 Burn at 183lbs adn 5'11)

Thanks!
A burn can be paddled in the hardest whitewater in the world, as well as the stomper. What it comes down to is what you're used to. Switching boats isn't going to magically make you ready to run rapids you previously weren't ready for. Paddle often and progress where you are comfortable.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
If you are considering purchasing a boat specifically for racing the remix should probably be in consideration. It won the green last year and I think the year before in the short boat division.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #5

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
If you are considering purchasing a boat specifically for racing the remix should probably be in consideration. It won the green last year and I think the year before in the short boat division.
I didn't recognize he was asking about the race... No more buzz sessions after The Trailhead.

Listen to Glenn
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #6

The Bitterroot, Montana
The stomper is not going to be the fastest boat out there. It is designed to be a easy to paddle creek boat. I just paddled a Shiva and that boat is fast! Faster than my villain for sure. I haven't been in a stomper but have heard its not as quick. Remix, tuna, zen, Mamba, Shiva all going to carry more speed.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Stomper is a fast boat but the remix is faster.. The remix is also banned from quite a bit of races due to the length. I love my remix but if I had to have one kayak it would be a stomper but I have two kayaks so I use a remix and jefe still best two boats.
Going to a stomper from burn be good cause you arw still use to the edges. You will like the stomper it's fastest creek boat besides the longer boats look, all the races it won aswell. And it runs all the shit my just the green

More important is the boater
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I think the Shiva will come out faster than the Stomper in the end. Really, regardless of how they paddle, the two boats feel very different just sitting in them on the floor, so personal comfort will go a long way for your controle and eventual success on the water. Sit in both.

The edges on the Burn make that boat better in bigger pushy water while the softer chines on the Shiva make it (I think) excel on the lower volume steeper water.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I paddled a medium Burn last season and this season am paddling a large Stomper. I'm 5'11" 170lbs. I really liked the edges of the Burn and never felt that they were catchy, however the Stomper still has a bit of edge to it and it can be engaged similarly to the Burn, it's just much less dramatic. I feel the Stomper is a bit faster, has slightly better stability, and is way more comfortable with the Bad Ass Outfitting. It boofs huge to, and with the extra volume over the M Burn it stays on the surface of the water way better. I've really enjoyed paddling both boats but I'd definitely choose the Stomper over the M Burn for creeking.
BEArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #10
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Not trying to be a jerk, but... If you're decision to run Gorilla would come down to whether you were in an edgy creeker vs. a less edgy one, then you probably should not be running the drop. For sure you should demo a Stomper -- there are plenty of places in the state you can do so and take it to Gore or Bailey. If you like the boat better than the Burn, then go for it. But the ability to cleanly run the notch comes from proper technique and experience dealing with folding currents, boils and "weird" water. So go up to Gore and pick it apart. Run hard ferries. Run the professor. Run left-left. Boof scissors. Get things dialed by making hard moves that simulate the notch experience, and seek out good paddlers to kayak with. Those things will pay off much more so than the equipment selection.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote