Would someone be willing to share info on Lucky 7? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-19-2005   #1

steamboat, Colorado
Would someone be willing to share info on Lucky 7?

As cold as it is, I doubt it will get crowded. You can send me a private message if you prefer. Basically, is it good and how do you get to it. What gauge and level is preferred? What other feature in Colorado would you compare it to?

thanks,
adam

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005   #2

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
WTF is Lucky 7?
Old 11-19-2005   #3

Adam, its Curtis from Cross Mtn Gorge last year. We're planning on going to Lucky 7 on Sunday around 1 PM. Come on down. Lucky 7 is located where the diversion dam on the Colorado sends water into the Grand Valley canal system. In the winter, the dam is lowered which creates a wave. Sorry, I don't have a mile marker location, but give me a call and I can give you the directions. ski_kayak365 says that right now its at a perfect level. This will be my first time paddling it though too. Anyone who wants to paddle lucky 7 is welcome to come out. We're above that elitist crap that I've heard about some wave in a ditch.
Curtis
970 210 4356
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005   #4

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Ok heres the deal:

Park at the location for Big Sur. There is a little wave at that location. Float downstream 1/4 miles or so. The Cameo dam is the 15ft high diverson dam that supplies the canals for the grand Valley. During the winter the dam lowers the gates, but that can change. You dont know untill you go out there. The seventh gate is on the river right side. That is the main shoot. Float down over the gate, there is a 6 foot slide intothe wave. The wave is about 4 foot pile, 20 feet wide. You can surf, spin, loop, cartwheel, blunt, whatever else you care to try. The eddy behind the 6th gate is a good place to rest. to get back into the wave, paddle upstream (surfers left), ferry across the current to a surging eddy on the surfers left side along the concert wall. There is a small bush/tree on the wall, if you are downstream of the bush you missed the eddy, if upstream your in the eddy. Slide along the wall back into the wave. The wave is not the easiest to get out of. You cant just surf off the side of the wave because of the concert waves. you have to side surf and pull up and over the pile, slam through the left wall of water, or dip your nose and try not to get looped. The wave is a V shaped wave. From surfers pt of view, the left and right walls are laterals, the left is smaller than the right, therefore easier to get out. the pile is in the middle to left. That is about all, when you are done paddle to the high way and hike back to your car.

-note, right now 4 of the gates have been closed, so Im not sure what the wave will be like. That was yesterday, so by tommorow they may have closed all the gates-

We will go out to see to try to play tommorrow, but that may not be worth a long drive if the gates are closed. Ill post the results tommorow night on this topic.

any other questions post them here, e-mail me, or you can call me,

Josh
[email protected]
720-289-8624
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #5

You don't need a mile marker. It's about a mile below Big Sur, and about a 1/4-1/2mile upstream of the Plateau Creek exit (Grand Mesa, Powderhorn, etc.).

Be cautious of entering from above, since I once misjudged the height of the damn, and almost took my head off. I reccomend paddling across the bottom. Also, avoid being on any part of the damn structure and around the buildings (basically where there is concrete). The dam keepers have been cool about letting paddlers stay there for a number of years, ignoring what I'm sure is a liability issue.

Enjoy it! The feature is awesome. Tell your friends where it's at and make a day out of it. If you wanted a fun 3-day weekend you could spend one day mountain biking in Fruita, then hit Lucky 7 the next (or the same day), and then finish it off with a day sking or boarding.

On a side note, you might bring gear for a second sport in case the dam keepers close the gate without notice.
Old 11-19-2005   #6

as for your questions:

I'm not sure I can compare it to anything else. Maybe flatten down Little D (westwater), and add concert walls on both sides

as for levels: 2400cfs is the best Ive gone on, easy to get out, harder to get it (surging eddy), easy to spin, side surf, perhaps what it would feel like to ride a fire hose
1800-2000cfs, little more sticky, harder to get out, larger pile, more play
under 1800cfs - dont remember, was just learning to surf so i got rocked.

just remember this is not a place to take a beginner, DO NOT SWIM, CANT SWIM the water is about 35-40degrees most of the time, air temp can be about the same, its in the shade in a canyon. Its a long swim to the highway 200yrds or so. DO NOT get out on the river right side of the river, private property, its dam property they will not appove and could cause problems to us surfing there. This is the only dam that you can play on and not worry about a recircing hole.
Old 11-19-2005   #7

Oh, to add to Josh's post. The level and character of the wave can change a lot depending on the gates and flow. The day we found it, the wave was close to 7 feet high (yes, taller than M-wave, Big Sur, South Canyon...), and we could surf 3 across it. Flushing was too easy. I think flow was over 5000, which is why we even noticed it. Other days it's still easy to get on from surfers right (but there is a concrete chunk that can tool you). Forms a small pocket sometimes, a wave at others....
Old 11-19-2005   #8

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm really impressed with how cool you guys are about sharing this info...restored my faith in CO boaters.
Old 11-19-2005   #9

thanks for the additional info kyle.

bsoe: this info is easy to give vs the recent topic of the m-wave mainly due to the fact that your not on private prop, walking on private prop, or anything else. the only catch is that if you want to go west on I-70 instead of driving to debec to turnaround, you park on a bike path under the highway bridge, then follow the path up to the westbound lanes and onto the highway. Since that isn't exactly legal, police could ticket you for it, but ive never gotten caught.

Plus its fucking cold shit, and only open during the winter, so not as many ppl want to go. But if your in the area and the powder is shitty or slushy, hit it up
Old 11-20-2005   #10

The other turnaround option (which applies to Big Sur as well) is to use the emergency exit turnaround. Supposedly the bike path turnaround could be a felony offense, where the other is a misdemeanor. This only matters if you are planning on turning around to head west on I-70. The only other option is to add 30 miles to the drive.

I'm a little drunk so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.