Would love an introduction to Great Falls/Choteau boaters? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-14-2010   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Would love an introduction to Great Falls/Choteau boaters?

I moved out to MT last fall and what with the weather warming up, it would be nice to know some other boaters.

Anyone know any folks in the Great Falls or Choteau areas? Or even a MT whitewater forum (my googling efforts to find one have so far been fruitless)? Obviously some travel may be in order, but it would be nice to have people to carpool with.

Cheers,
Lauren G.

deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010   #2

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Hey, I think I might have posted a reply to your profile page or something. But I was trying to forward you my friend Bob's # in Great Falls. He's a stellar guy who paddles like mad. He said it would be alright to give out his #, Just PM me and I'll get it to you. Happy Paddling!
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There are a lot of Montana people on the Idaho Whitewater Yahoo group. Also the Northwest Whitewater Association Yahoo group, mostly people from Spokane and Western Montana. I'm not aware of any Montana-focused internet groups unfortunately, we seem to be spread around a bunch.

I catboat mostly in Idaho, and some in W Montana, a bit of rafting also. I don't see what kind of boating you do (kayak/raft? C III/IV/V?)

Are you in GF or Choteau?
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the beta! In answer to your questions: I'm a kayaker. Class IV. I've brushed the edges of V-. Definitely not too cool for pretty III floats. True love: big water.

I live in Choteau right now but will probably be moving to GF within the next month.
deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Excellent! You better come over to the Lochsa. It won't be BIG this year, but even when it's mellow it's a superstar. Last year was epic! If I were you, I'd check out the MF Flathead, it's got some IV's and is moderate/high volume, but just a few, there is a day run and the wilderness run. Maybe the kayakers from the Beartooth area will chime in here on the Buzz, there's some kayaking runs down there, more creeky though. I've found it incredibly easy to make boating friends, both through approaching boaters and also bugging guides (that's how I got introduced to the Lochsa). You'll inevitably run into some attitudes against newbies (it can be really bad in Montana), but just keep talking and being friendly and you'll meet up with the right folks.
Old 03-19-2010   #6

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey, deerfield- I'm not up that way yet, but I'm applying to go to MSU-Great Falls School of Tech, to study dental hygiene. Pretty competitive, so it may be a long shot, but if I make it, me and the missus will be headed to GF for at least 2 years. I'm a solid IV/sometimes V paddler whose true passion is rowing my 16' raft. My wife is a good III paddler, and if it works out, we'll be looking for people to float with.

Just thought I'd plant a seed, in support of positive thinking for my school application.
Old 03-20-2010   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Lauren, how have you been? Montana?