Working on the Ark - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-20-2008   #1

Working on the Ark

Hey guys. I'm interested in working on the Arkansas in the next couple years. How would a guide with 2 or 3 seasons of New River work, and a couple Gauley seasons fare? Any recommendations on companies to work for?

Riverdaughter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
USAFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdaughter13 View Post
Hey guys. I'm interested in working on the Arkansas in the next couple years. How would a guide with 2 or 3 seasons of New River work, and a couple Gauley seasons fare? Any recommendations on companies to work for?

I would suggest USAFA. I was a trainee guide back during the summer of 2000, came up short of getting the required hours to cert before I left for the Army. I've always rafted with them every chance that I got when I was home for leave, so, my input may be a little biased.

Anyway, they are knowlegable, safe, and a great group of river rats to work with. They Do quite a few runs on the Ark.

The Guy that you'd want to talk to is Cecil Gaddy. He used to guide on the New river and also the Gauley as well.
719-333-2940
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #3

Do a quick search and you will find a lot of posts about guiding on the Ark, it comes up every year.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I just cleaned up this section but there were many jobs listed out here this spring.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/showcat.php?cat=14
Old 11-20-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You will have no trouble getting a job on the Ark, 2-3 seasons is probably the average experience level. Most companies take on a fair number of rookies each year and generally are quite happy to have experienced applicants. Some companies start hiring as soon as Jan/Feb so apply early so you can screen the companies for what you want (number of trips a day, housing, pay, etc.). Search the previous posts for peoples opinions on which companies are better/worse.

The only operation I have worked for on the Ark was Echo Canyon, 8 years ago and under different ownership. So I can't make very relevant comments, but I believe that that the same head guide, Ben is still there and I though he was a good guy to work for. Echo is one of the bigger companies and mainly runs the lower ark - Big Horn Sheep Canyon and the Royal Gorge. Most companies either run the Upper Ark - Pine Creek, Numbers, and Brown's Canyon or the lower Ark. Some companies run both and have a separate group of guides that live at each location.

If you are living on the Front Range you might also consider guiding on the Cache La Poudre or Clear Creek (both are smaller and more technical in general). I would recommend Rapid Transit Rafting on the Poudre and All American Adventures on Clear Creek.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #6

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
There was a thread about a month ago that ended up being like 3 pages of suggestions. dont look at any other companies than PT, TAC, BUFF Joes, and AVA.
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #7

DON'T work for USAFA or any of the other military companies. Reason, carn, carn, carn, terrible decision making. Ask any gorge guide about USAFA and I guarentee they have at a pocket full of carn stories. Decide which section of the Ark you want to work on first (Numbers, Browns, Bighorn, Gorge) then look at the companies. Personally, I enjoy working for the smaller ones. The big thing is to ask how they rotate guides and how much work that'll be.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #8

What are the numbers like. I've got a couple connections at AVA, and Buff. Joes, and the people there seem to be big on the numbers
Riverdaughter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #9

The numbers are fast and fun, more difficult than browns by far. If you are looking to guide the more difficult sections the narrows and gorge are the two you should look at. AVA does the numbers more than the gorge. Buff Joe has an office that does the gorge daily. Expect to start in browns or bighorn sheep canyon, depending if you work upstream or downstream. It usually takes some time to run the bigger stuff, espically if you work for a big company like AVA or Buff Joe. Good luck!
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whitewattafoo View Post
There was a thread about a month ago that ended up being like 3 pages of suggestions. dont look at any other companies than PT, TAC, BUFF Joes, and AVA.
you forgot noah's ark. they run the gnar.
catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas, guiding