wooo hooo i got my roll - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2008   #1

ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
wooo hooo i got my roll

yup gloating a little got my first roll and many more today unfortunatly i had to to learn on my own which meant many swims anyway how bout some tips for all of us trying to learn on our own due to small /nonexistant paddleing comunities in our areas thanks helix

helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by helix149 View Post
yup gloating a little got my first roll and many more today unfortunatly i had to to learn on my own which meant many swims anyway how bout some tips for all of us trying to learn on our own due to small /nonexistant paddleing comunities in our areas thanks helix
Good on ya! Practice, read books and watch videos. EJ's rolling and bracing video is good. Roll is mental. "Set-up point" is good for building a confident combat roll. For me that's kissing the cockpit rim, knuckes near the water surface, feeling pressure on the power blade, then Bam! hip snap and roll back up!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #3
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed, a good set up has been key to my roll. I notice if I take my time in flows (not to long) to get in good position my success increases significantly.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
A2???

Where are you kayaking in Ann Arbor??? I grew up around there. Thought I heard something about a possible play spot, but not sure. Would be nice to know for when I go back to visit family and friends.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Remember the head comes out last...wait, that didn't sound right..oh well. You know what I mean. Congratz. A wise man told me after I learned that "every kayaker is just between swims." It is nice to not have to swim when you don't have too though.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #6

ann arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Where are you kayaking in Ann Arbor??? I grew up around there. Thought I heard something about a possible play spot, but not sure. Would be nice to know for when I go back to visit family and friends.

Laurie

laurie i was practicing in the river at gallop park however most of the locals with playboats play just below skips canoe livery or at a place they call the tubbs just upstream from the bridge neer tubbs road and huron river drive intersection there is a local group called rsck kayak the spot below skips is said to be a 2 or 3 depending on water levels but im not sure how acurate that is due to my general lack of whitewater experience if you google rsck kayak club you should be able to get on their mailing list i am on it now and am not a member you just have to get a u of m username and password which are free and you dont have to be a student
Old 08-15-2008   #7

ann arbor, Michigan
i would like to thank a couple of locals for giving me tips last tues evening that set me up and gave me the confidance to try also for walking me through
a proper wet exit and drilling me till i did it thanks guys happy boating also want to thank all of you for the tips given and those still to come
Old 08-15-2008   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
1. keep your head down
2. keep your head down
3. keep your head down!!!

...oh, and really focus on snapping the hips--I think those are the 2 biggest "bad habits" people have (myself included) that screw up their roll
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Ann Arbor Whitewater

Congrats! I agree with the previous posts... practice, practice, practice and EJ's Rolling and Bracing is one of the best videos out there.

On a separate note, I never knew Ann Arbor had whitewater... I went to Michigan State for undergrad and law school and the closest we got to whitewater was videos... The Red Cedar doesn't exactly have tons of play spots and I sure I wouldn't want to swim in it!

Anyway... good luck and GO STATE!
Old 08-15-2008   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Send a message via Yahoo to DenverDave
The first rule of Fight Club is, "You do not talk about fight club."
The second rule of Fight Club is, "YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!!"
The third rule is...keep your head down.

Jay H is right...

The set up is actually pretty easy most of the time. The hip snap is almost natural. But keeping the head down... it takes practice.

When my roll doesn't succeed, that is the reason 95% of the time.

David
"I'm putting a personal bounty on the head of Tim McCrackin. He's the coach, and chief punk on that Syracuse team. A hundred bucks of my own money to the first of my boys who really nails that creep!" --Coach Reg Dunlop, Charlestown Chiefs
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote