Woods and West Fork Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2008   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Woods and West Fork Clear Creek

I'm thinking of doing a low level run down Woods and WF Clear Creek on Sunday. I've got one friend who will go, but neither of us have been down before. We are both from out of town and this is our only chance to run it. Anyone interested in going? We could use a guide, but if someone can give me some great details on specific drops, that would work too.

Josh

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008   #2

Woods

From my recollection it is totally possible/easy to scout the entirety of Woods from the bank before running it. It's super short and I think there is even a trail along most of it.

That said, we didn't scout anything below the little foot bridge and my crew left me in the dust after I took some pics so I had to route it all blind/solo and it was fine.

But that was several years ago.

Maybe have your t/o mentally marked.

Props to B Adkins for discovering (?) this run and showing us down. And to Big Dan Crain who removed the steel grate thing that was blocking the creek at the time. LTP!!!

West Fork wasn't too tough to probe on your own if I remember right.

Gordon
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDalton View Post
West Fork wasn't too tough to probe on your own if I remember right.
Gordon
If you mean boat scouting, I couldn't agree less. That run is full on continuous kung-fu style boating. I wouldn't want to float into any of those gorges without a shore scout first. Scouting all the horizon lines would take a long time. Having someone show you where the drops are and pre-scouting is the way to go. Sorry, but I can't go Sunday.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008   #4

I have to agree with Blutzki here. You'll scout Coors as you put in and then you probably want to scout Z-Gorge, Hwy. 40, and Gunshot. And the in between stuff is still moving pretty quick. Z-Gorge is good to pre-scout on the way up while it seems that the other two are good to scout on the river.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
If you mean boat scouting, I couldn't agree less.
and I couldn't agree with you more... boat scouting WF would be paramount to suicide with all the wood that catches in that place. although low it's still a stout run with few if any eddies. i'd say we've batted .500 on showing up and getting to tun it with all the new wood that those gorges attract. most of the time we head up to run and spend the afternoon cleaning for the next day. good luck and walk that thing first!
Old 05-29-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
oh yeah and if you hit it make sure to give us a wood report. thanks!

and where's Woods?
Old 05-29-2008   #7

castle rock
Send a message via AIM to liam dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboner View Post
oh yeah and if you hit it make sure to give us a wood report. thanks!

and where's Woods?

woods is the left turn right before the first hairpin turn into berthoud pass. from there you take a dirt road, cross the river, go around a gate and park at the dam. be careful parking at the dam and watch out for security/workers. also on upper west fork there is a cool little spout waterfall at a park next to the river.
liam dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #8

no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
If you mean boat scouting, I couldn't agree less. .
Nope, I did not mean boat scouting.

Sorry if you inferred that. I simply meant figuring out the creek on your own, which was what he was asking about I think. I don't think a WFCC-calber crew would need a "guide."

Peace,

GD
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #9

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Ok, we only ran Coors. In the hundred yards below the falls alone was multi logs both river wide and sticking out of the water in dangerous spots.

We went and looked at woods and that is some steep shit. For only two people we opted not to run it. V- my ass, thats steeper than the source and thats rated V. As for getting to the dam, both dirt roads have gates on them, so its a 1/4 mile or more walk in no matter what.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote