Wood in Lower Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2009   #1

Wood in Lower Clear Creek

Ran lower cear creek on 5/13 and there is a significant piece of wood river center about half way down screaming quarter mile rapid. It looks like a large Y shaped branch with the Y sticking up slightly out of the water. It is visible coming downstream and pretty easily avoidable but could pose a serious threat for a swimmer; especially as levels increase. Anybody with thoughts to get it out, please post. Happy Boat'n!

aseligson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009   #2

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Wood has moved!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseligson View Post
Ran lower cear creek on 5/13 and there is a significant piece of wood river center about half way down screaming quarter mile rapid. It looks like a large Y shaped branch with the Y sticking up slightly out of the water. It is visible coming downstream and pretty easily avoidable but could pose a serious threat for a swimmer; especially as levels increase. Anybody with thoughts to get it out, please post. Happy Boat'n!
Ran LCC tonight (5/14/09), and we found the wood in the middle of 1/4 mile. It is now towards the end of the 1/4 mile (one of the last drops) and is dead center of river. River left or right would probably be best until the flow comes up, and even then it's not good if you swim or end up upside down at that drop (minor potential strainer)!! (we tried to move it with a rope and even swimming out and trying to lift it, but it wouldn't budge)

Just a heads up!

-Nick
Old 05-15-2009   #3

wood in tunnel #1 drop

Heads up on the last drop of LCC. We were putting in at tunnel number one today, and caught a couple of punks dropping wood into the river. They apparently pulled the wood off of the old water tressel up above the river and brought it down to make some trouble. They were completely unrepentant and placed more wood after we explained the hazards. They have created a pretty significant strainer with their efforts.
From what we could tell, there are now three pieces of wood in the river right side of the tunnel #1 drop (the last drop of the run with any significance).
Since most people run the river left side, it is a slightly lesser problem than a river wide strainer. But, I have seen a few people take the right line. BEWARE if you do!! The wood completely crossed the river right line and is just beneath the surface. The worst piece is right at the lip of the drop and is wedged between rocks on either side. It's solid. It's submerged just out of sight. And, it has a gap under it that is just right to trap your bow as you start the drop.
One piece of wood sticks nicely out of the water and can be seen clearly. Hopefully this piece warns people away from the river right line, because the other two are submerged just beneath the surface.
I won't have time to get the wood out until Sunday at the earliest. If anyone else is feeling spunky, you will likely need some rope and a friend. I couldn't move it with my hands.

Jason

BTW, I did get pictures of the location and the punks that placed the wood on my phone. I will try to get them up soon.
medwinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwinj View Post
Heads up on the last drop of LCC. We were putting in at tunnel number one today, and caught a couple of punks dropping wood into the river. They apparently pulled the wood off of the old water tressel up above the river and brought it down to make some trouble. They were completely unrepentant and placed more wood after we explained the hazards. They have created a pretty significant strainer with their efforts.
From what we could tell, there are now three pieces of wood in the river right side of the tunnel #1 drop (the last drop of the run with any significance).
Since most people run the river left side, it is a slightly lesser problem than a river wide strainer. But, I have seen a few people take the right line. BEWARE if you do!! The wood completely crossed the river right line and is just beneath the surface. The worst piece is right at the lip of the drop and is wedged between rocks on either side. It's solid. It's submerged just out of sight. And, it has a gap under it that is just right to trap your bow as you start the drop.
One piece of wood sticks nicely out of the water and can be seen clearly. Hopefully this piece warns people away from the river right line, because the other two are submerged just beneath the surface.
I won't have time to get the wood out until Sunday at the earliest. If anyone else is feeling spunky, you will likely need some rope and a friend. I couldn't move it with my hands.

Jason

BTW, I did get pictures of the location and the punks that placed the wood on my phone. I will try to get them up soon.
Post those pics, man. If they are from Golden then they are probably at the whitewater park getting drunk and tubing in the summer with the rest of the teeny boppers so I'm sure we'll see them.

Better yet, maybe someone who works at Golden High School could identify them and talk to them about what pricks they are and let their mommies and daddies know what they do when they don't have a babysitter.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #5
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwinj View Post
I'd have tossed those little fuckers in their own strainer! Please post their pics...
Old 05-15-2009   #6

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I'd have tossed those little fuckers in their own strainer! Please post their pics...
use em to knock it loose.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #7

Yeah, thanks for the beta, but I have to bust chops here, if you witnessed some people creating a strainer on a run as popular and heavily trafficed as that, then brotha, you gots to do something, anything. Call the cops if you have to. If it really does cross the endtire river right channel then it could be someon's death. You can't just let that happen. Am I right?