wolf creek area this weekend? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-18-2006   #1
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
wolf creek area this weekend?

i'll be staying in southfork this weekend and was wondering if anything down there is running and worth bringing the 12'er for? planning to r-2 with the girlfriend if we take the raft and not looking to drive very far. i am assuming that nothing is runnable and or close, but i want to make sure i am not overlooking something. am i??
thanks
zach

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006   #2

Um, the south fork rio grande is right there. But the section in the CRC2 is pretty technical, and creek boats only. Below that it mellows up substantially, so if you are looking for a float, and pre-check the barbed wire situation, then it should be good. I think there are rafting tours in the area. Not sure about flow...
Old 04-18-2006   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The peidra is rising and would float a 12' raft if it get's above 1000 on the gauge, although you gotta do the whole 20+ miles. Probably a 1:15 drive from South Fork. Start early & look for the Hot Springs on your left on the paddle out- about a mile or two below the lower box canyon.

Otherwise, it think there's a section of the Rio Grande that runs on the way up top creede- either above or below a small reservior, but I've never done it.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

thanks. the piedra would be awesome but it is a little more involved than i was looking for. it is supposed to be a relaxing weekend.

is there water in the s.f? what is the gauge? am i blind or is it not on the flow page?
anyone done the lower stretch? i just hate to haul the raft out there and leave it in the car.
Old 04-19-2006   #5

watertalk - 303-831-7135 code 3*17# 326 cfs
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #6

i live in south fork and did some scouting last weekend. It's still too low for the Class V section of the SF, as one of the drops is still sieved out.

However below that all the way to town would be cool easy stretch. Class II/IIIish. Probably some scraping in places but definately enough water for a kayak: not sure about a raft it'd be close - and it probably depends on the weather the next few days as it's still been freezing up at night.

However, fisherman are floating the Rio Grande, between Creede and SF. - bring your pole.

Above Creede - the road to Rio Grande Res may still be snowed in, I'd check on that before heading up there. Lost Trail Ranch is up there and they'd know - they snowmobile in during the winter. their website is www.lost-trail.com if you want to check.

Also beware of the construction on the pass - I'm not sure what their schedule is but I believe night time closures have started I think Monday - Thursdays - with delays during the day. Last Sunday they were not working.

Feel free to give me a hollar if you need anything from dinner recommendations to a shuttle. 719-873-5585

matt
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Pagosa Springs, Town Run- Mesa Canyon fun class 2+
superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

thanks a ton. i'll give you a call.