Winter paddling? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2003   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Winter paddling?

I'm moving to Springs from Idaho at start of December. Is there winter paddling in Colorado? I'm a class III/IV paddler/playboater and I'll be looking for all the people to go with I can find, as often as possible.
Anything anyone can tell me about winter paddling and colorado paddling in general would be really appreciated. What's doable in one day from Springs? Where in the state are the best surf waves? Surf waves close to Springs? Day/half-day class III or IV trips within couple hours of Springs? And most of all, who's ready to go boating with me?! :P
See y'all on the water!
-Mike Griffin

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003   #2

Central, Colorado
the ark

The Arkansas is low, but still runnable. If you're up for running the Numbers and the Gorge (both 3/4 at that level), let me know, I'd be up for running it. The Gorge is about an hour's drive from Co. Springs, and the Numbers are close to 2.5-3. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] when you're around and let's talk

tom.
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
I live in the springs. Send me an email when you get to town and I will go with you. The Ark is very low right now. Parkdale may still be doable but no surf waves at this level. I would think the numbers would be too low at this level but I could be wrong. Ice will probably be forming in the Gorge by Jan. Local club starts with pool time in January so let me know and I can take you out there with me if you are interested in that.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003   #4

Socratic Philosopher
Ran the Ark last Thurs. It was 70 degrees out and beautiful. Then, that weekend my boats were covered in snow. The water temp has just turned cold, but when a nice day comes, you can handle it. From CS you can get there in just over an hour (leave work for an early lunch and just don't come back). Park down the block so your boss doesn't see your boats. There are alot of options, and few people. Also, easy access/ ample parking on the river.
Old 12-15-2003   #5

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
winter paddlin

im in denver for the holiday and im looking for some winter paddling, if the weather warms up again and not working ill try the gorge w/ anyone interested or waterton canyon, i think thats about it for whats running. im a III boater.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would think the Gorge would have substantial ice by now. If you decide to go, the move at Sunshine at this level is not class III and that hole looks nice and sticky.
Old 12-16-2003   #7

Sunshine is a piece of cake at this level. I did it at 450 and it was easy. class III.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
I disagree.
Old 12-17-2003   #9

Denver, Colorado
Go or no?

Well, I'm up for going if anyone's going, as long as you're sure you know what we're getting into. I'm good for class 3 or 4, but I've never been on Colorado water yet so I don't know much about any of the runs, especially what they do at different levels. I'd hate for my first Colorado trip to end trapped under an iceflow or some crap like that.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Westwater is the only quality winter boating. It is a fun level right now, lots of play and the desert is always a little warmer. Start early and you will really enjoy it, a great way to introduce you to western boating.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote