Winter MF Salmon TR (With Photos) - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-09-2013   #41
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Yup. Pretty awesome. Someone said there are lot of people in there in the off season.... on an October trip I saw exactly one person at the B and that was it. My buddy did the permit stuff at Indian and he said there were three rangers up there. They said "by signing this you agree you brought all required gear" and declined to walk down to the ramp.

It's also $4 per day. And a breakdown firepan, Wag bag and a corner of a tshirt would cover that gear.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013   #42

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
it's pretty sad how little discussion his poor decision making has generated here. there is absolute 101 stupid shit in squeaky's report. truly the buzz is dead, cooked and stuffed these days with a bunch of bib wearers sitting around the table with spoons in their hands.

so a winter solo trip on partially frozen,heavily ice bridged class IV river, followed by the choice to travel extensively by foot on unstable fucking ice bridges over said class IV river ,again alone,unaided, unbelayed. followed by the point that his mom and dad had SAR on "speed dial" if he missed his exit date. a rescue/ body recovery putting other folks in danger to pick up the pieces for his poor choices. followed by the lesser point that the guy can't even afford a packraft so who get's to pay for the rescue/body recovery....? us. and nothing but 'attaboys'? brilliant. i think you all have been watching too many gaper extraordinaire bear grylls reruns and it's rotted out your brains.

just remember,squeaky, once you plunge under to the wet side of an ice bridge and ,uh,"throwing a crimp" as you put it fails... odds are you're dead.

maybe keep this old climbing adage in mind next time...."there old climbers and there are bold climbers but there are no old,bold climbers."

that is all. out.

mb.... t.s.t.t.t.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #43

Seattle, Washington
I've never tried anything like this, so I can't speak to how stable the snow bridges are. Talking to the folks at Mackay who describe ramming the snow bridges above Chittum in a jet boat from upstream to clear them out ... frankly, they didn't sound exactly unstable. And that's a LOT lower than the MF canyon.

at some point, you can't argue the fact that he completed the trip safely under his own power, right? So, is your argument that he's lucky to be alive and that you can assess the hazards better from your computer than he could while there dealing with it?

seems pretty arrogant to me. I guess if I die in a rented boat on the GC, I could really afford it? OR didn't have the skills because ... I rented a boat?

no old bold climbers doesn't mean only timid old climbers exist. It's possible to push oneself and face a challenge while still maintaining a margin of safety. It doesn't mean relegate thyself to roadside fair weather conditions....
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013   #44

Bugtussle, Kentucky
Awesome trip, and nice report. I love solo trips, but this one is slightly more than I would bite off...pretty damn hardcore.
Ignore the insecure armchair toolbags, although I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. Keep on chasing whatever it is you're chasing...
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #45

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Did squeaky take a shit in your cheerios or something? To each his own...and I don't think having to rent a packraft is an indication of his skill level or his financial situation.

The consequences may make the MFS class IV this time of year....but the rapids certainly aren't.

Here's another bib wearer giving you an "atta boy"....in the spirit of adventure, I would have gladly paid my portion to SAR if the situation had turned grim.

Keep on exploring.......

BTW, your moniker (Up shit creek) would leave me to believe you've made poor choices in exploration????
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #46

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
so I can't speak to how stable the snow bridges are. .
his words were the consistency of "cornflakes" in places.

my only response to GC/ rental comment is put down the bong for a minute while typing.

i realize very few of you actually read the words in the report (probably skipped the bigger ones too of the few you did) and just looked at the pretty pictures and all. so there is that...
Old 01-09-2013   #47

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
...and I don't think having to rent a packraft is an indication of his skill level or his financial situation.

?
holy shit,folks. fucking learn how to read.
Old 01-09-2013   #48

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
holy shit,folks. fucking learn how to read.
Why read what you write? Anger-babble and insincere talk (..out, but oh no you are back for more!)
Old 01-09-2013   #49

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Someone said there are lot of people in there in the off season....

It's also $4 per day. And a breakdown firepan, Wag bag and a corner of a tshirt would cover that gear.

Please don't twist, misrepresent, or take my words out of context.

The required equipment/$ thing was a joke. Hance the smiley face. Its the last thing I believed anyone was concered about. I am sorry if my joke didn't make you smile. My bad!
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #50

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Why read what you write?
IF you are going to respond to what i'm actually saying or what squeaky wrote, it's not a bad idea, short bus.