Winter Boating in PNW - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2011   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Winter Boating in PNW

I am thinking about boating plans for this winter and one of the options I am considering is moving to Hood River (or thereabouts) for boating opportunities. I have spent a couple of weeks there in the past and know about the numerous boating options but was more curious about the season. I would be looking at moving up there in early Jan and staying through at least March...comments.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011   #2

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Now I'm not in Hood River (so hopefully a local will chime in here as well)
But I do live in Oregon and the boating seasons are generally like this;
season 1) rain fed, November thru Apr
season 2) snowmelt, Apr. thru June. Some low water runs or in big snow years into July
season 3) spring fed/ dam controlled, all year but things can get pretty low and the choices
can be pretty slim in Sept./Oct
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #3

I moved to the portland area a couple of years ago after many years in Colorado. Since November of last year I've paddled about 80 days and that number could have been much higher. Unless it's some freak year with no precip you can't miss Tons of quality paddling and plently of folk to do it with Hood river area tends to be a bit colder and snowier than Portland area but if you're willing to drive a bit your options are endless
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011   #4

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
I believe there should be rain by Jan; and once it starts raining, it does seem endless. A bit cold in my book tho; if you have the option, why not go to Costa Rica, Chile, or NZ?
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
January through March is prime time in The Gorge. It will be rainy, but not that bad in HR, where it is more likely to either be dry or snow. You should be able to run most forks of the Hood, everything on the White Salmon, probably the Little White, the Upper Wind, the Klickitat, and that's just the stuff that is within a half hour of HR.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks for the input, so there is water to run in March and early April. I new the season was good during the mid winter but was wondering about the end/early spring.

Wasach-thinking about those options as well...been to CR, considering Argentina/Chile but Chile is quite expensive to travel in. NZ will hopefully be next year if we get a little better guiding season down here.
Old 09-06-2011   #7

Riverdale, Utah
Nice!
I've just paddled a few times around Hood river, but it was so good I have watched the gauges a fair amount. The rain season can be up and down for certain runs, like upper Wind for example; it can go from kinda low, to "too high for me" in a hurry with a big rain; but there is always something to paddle. The White Salmon is one of the most reliable, because of all the springs I guess. Lots of local paddlers there, familiar with stuff and watching the gauges; if you head out there check out PDXkayaker on yahoo groups.
Dreamflows.com has some interesting calculated estimates for a number of those runs.
Facebook has a White Salmon River page where they post the Husum stick gauge level.
Old 09-06-2011   #8

Riverdale, Utah
The removal of Condit Dam would be interesting to check out. Sounds like it won't be done until 9/1/2012 though.
http://whitesalmontimelapse.files.wo...august2011.jpg
White Salmon Restored: A Timelapse Project
Old 09-06-2011   #9

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
If you do end up in the Hood River area, make sure you head over to Solstice Pizza in Bingin (across the bridge from HR). They have THE most amazing food ever! It's a nearly a pilgramage for me and most of my boating friends. Oh yeah, and the rivers are great too...lol
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #10

Riverdale, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
been to CR
Not enough there to go back? Just curious; its on my list.

How about Ecuador? The middle of this blog makes it sound pretty awesome
Small World Adventures--Kayak Ecuador