Winter boating in Colorado? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2014   #1

Palo Alto, California
Winter boating in Colorado?

So I'm driving home to CO from CA for the holidays and I'm wondering if there is any purpose in bringing my boat. I started boating since I moved away from home so I know almost nothing about Colorado's rivers. Does anything flow in winter or is it all frozen?

allro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
arkansa river in BV is ice free and 200 cfs at the numbers, about 400+ and warmer weather down in canon city, but no light in the gorge.

gore and shoshone on the colorado are still ice free as well, tho gore is getting cold and there is snow on the banks.

its your call, might be hard to find boaters. im on the ark for xmas if you want to paddle.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #3

Palo Alto, California
I've wanted to run numbers for quite a while, so it's tempting. I'm guessing it's still runnable at 200?
allro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014   #4

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
I'd say just leave your boat at home. The boating on the Ark is extremely low flow rock dodging in a kayak. It's worth it if you're nearby or very desperate for some paddling, but it isn't going to be super high quality paddling. It's definitely still fun in the winter... but not necessarily worth going out of your way to get on it.
Old 12-17-2014   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There'll be folks to paddle with on Shoshone on New Year's Day.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I thoroughly enjoy low water boating on the Ark. 250 in Pine Cree/Numbers currently. BOR has expressed they have lots of water to move, so I expect it to remain in the 250-300 range for the immediate future....this is decent water, remember 2012?...

Watch for ice. We have had a few cold nights in a row. The flow was shut down last week for a dive inspection on Twin Lakes, and some ice built up, but it looks like release coming back up got rid of most of it.

There is many miles of open water between Salida and the Royal Gorge too, not too exciting, but scenic class 2 with some random rapids.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #7

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I thoroughly enjoy low water boating on the Ark. 250 in Pine Cree/Numbers currently. BOR has expressed they have lots of water to move, so I expect it to remain in the 250-300 range for the immediate future....this is decent water, remember 2012?...
Is Pine Creek/Numbers worth the drive from Vail?
Old 12-17-2014   #8

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have driven from Boulder to run Pine Creek/ Numbers at 250 (at least once, probably a few times) and thought it was very worthwhile! Elf run, but a lot of fun. Did a bunch of laps in 3 sisters for some off-season boof practice. (about a 3 hour drive so I camped). Send it!
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #9
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
looks like they bumped flows up a bit. Currently 263cfs through pine creek. That should enough to get through from the regular put in correct?
BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you like boofs, splats and dufeks you will enjoy low water Ark boating. If your looking for big holes and freestyle features you will be disappointed. I would encourage you to come check it out any day that overnight temps are in the 20's as long as there is some sun, highs into the 40's and minimal winds. Many of us try to at least get 1 run a month through the winter.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote