Winter boating/attainments around gunnison - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2016   #1

Dubois, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1776
Winter boating/attainments around gunnison

I've been up in crested butte for the winter working at the mountain and enjoying the skiing. Now I'm down in Durango where my boats are and I'm stuck in the dilemma of whether or not to take something back with me to start shaping up for spring. I haven't paid attention at all to the rivers up there this winter so I've no idea if they're all clogged up with ice dams or not. Anyone have any beta on attainments up there or the winter state of the play park?

Side note, getting to my boats involves digging through ~3 feet of ice and snow built up to get to the basement where they're stored. Worth it or no?

kevinthediltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Always worth it. Even if you don't get on the water, you'll just feel better having your baby again!
Old 02-10-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
I've heard, but have not verified, Gunnison delta to whitewater and Moab daily on Colorado, are likely a go, with maybe chunks of ice floating. Careful with this warm weather in case some big flows let loose from up high, can scout daily from road, maybe get last minute beta for Gunnison just incase? Something on the ark might open up with warm weather.

So I used to store my raft in a shed, where 6' of ice and snow would slide off the roof in front of it, god it sucked to dig out, but I swear, there were beams of sunshine coming out that shed once I got to my river gear!
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Just curious... with this warm weather you guys are experiencing, is it warm enough to melt anything at the higher elevations right now? I know here in Idaho, it's been warm. Southfork payette is good for paddling, but up stream from there the mountains are still nice and froze. No hope of anything moving for a while.
Old 02-10-2016   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ice dams have been a pretty big issue this winter up Taylor and through town. More so than usual. If its gonna be a while before you can grab your boat again it might be worth the dig though...

That being said, I really haven't been paying very close attention to the river since the mountain opened either.
Lmcewen0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #6

Dubois, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
I've heard, but have not verified, Gunnison delta to whitewater and Moab daily on Colorado, are likely a go, with maybe chunks of ice floating. Careful with this warm weather in case some big flows let loose from up high, can scout daily from road, maybe get last minute beta for Gunnison just incase? Something on the ark might open up with warm weather.

So I used to store my raft in a shed, where 6' of ice and snow would slide off the roof in front of it, god it sucked to dig out, but I swear, there were beams of sunshine coming out that shed once I got to my river gear!
I was more looking for right in the Gunny area. I can always go down to D town and attain the oxbows if I feel like it. Thanks, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
Just curious... with this warm weather you guys are experiencing, is it warm enough to melt anything at the higher elevations right now? I know here in Idaho, it's been warm. Southfork payette is good for paddling, but up stream from there the mountains are still nice and froze. No hope of anything moving for a while.
It's still been pretty cold up high and as far as I know it'll take some serious melt to get rid of the ice dams on anything fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmcewen0319 View Post
Ice dams have been a pretty big issue this winter up Taylor and through town. More so than usual. If its gonna be a while before you can grab your boat again it might be worth the dig though...

That being said, I really haven't been paying very close attention to the river since the mountain opened either.
I figured the Taylor was a no go, I'm really not familiar with the bigger water in the area (OBJ is basically all I've done around there) but I've been missing boating. I'm too used to Durango where you can attain the lower pretty much all winter. I'll be back near my boats in early march so I think I'm just going to wait until then to dig them out. Thanks for the advice and I'll probably be out there as soon as OBJ starts up.
kevinthediltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #7

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Western has pool sessions Tuesday nights, if you are looking to just get in the boat.
float2boat is offline   Reply With Quote