williams fork of the colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2012   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
williams fork of the colorado

Does anyone know anything about the williams fork section of the colorado?

can it still be run, is there acess, etc.

I searched the boater and trip fourms, nothing. I have checked my guide books, and will start looking at topos and some google earth.

anybody? bueller?, banks? JD? bahhh?(sheep sound)

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
When there is water it looks very runnable for a good 5 mile section above Williams Fork Res and seemed class II/III. There is also a fork to the west that looks class III/IV and one to the east that looks to be class V. I've never done it, but it is a pretty cool area and might be worth checking out!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3

Centennial, Colorado
Bring a chainsaw
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
its in the colorado rivers and creeks book. mayb next year.
Old 07-26-2012   #5

Not sure what's in the book but are you talking kayaking or raft? Above the res is a small brookie creek through mega beetle kill and below is one of the most popular fly fishing streams in Colorado but I guess you could hike a kayak in there. Only access below three res is hike in and it is too small to raft. Way more wade fishing water than boating imo.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
i found out some from the floaters guide to colorado. not sure how i missed it. I think i'm going to hike around and see.

as
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Bob, be carefull in there. We had a strong group and still nearly died in there on the spikes of a pungy trunk all the way across the creek. Narrow, continuous and heavily treed even before the current pine beetle plague. There is next to no access except at the top near the campground and at the bottom just above the res. Even shore scouting was very difficult due to lack of trails, steep and numerous deadfall trees. Only pure luck and a premonition saved us all from being impaled. Trebor
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #8

Summit County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor
Bob, be carefull in there. We had a strong group and still nearly died in there on the spikes of a pungy trunk all the way across the creek. Narrow, continuous and heavily treed even before the current pine beetle plague. There is next to no access except at the top near the campground and at the bottom just above the res. Even shore scouting was very difficult due to lack of trails, steep and numerous deadfall trees. Only pure luck and a premonition saved us all from being impaled. Trebor
All true. I told my husband about this thread, so hopefully he'll post. He did it last year with a buddy in our 13' raft. They knew there were going to be a lot of trees, so they took a chainsaw. Made several attempts to scout before they did it, but the woods just get too thick in spots to even get close to the river. They removed too many trees to count and it took way longer than they expected. Multiple portages, one specifically where they could barely get the raft through the woods. Several trees in the river were too difficult to remove. They planned to take out at the reservoir, but had to take out early because it was getting late and they were losing light. They ran into a ranger and I think he said he'd never seen anyone run it, or it had been at least some crazy amount of years since he'd seen anyone run it, something like that.

Not advised to do it, but if you do, bring a buddy or two and definitely bring a chainsaw. Be on your toes and give yourself plenty of time to deal with the hazards. It's a cool area. We've seen multiple moose around there, and I think my husband saw a bear during their attempt. Good luck!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #9

Tabernash, Colorado
Last time I ran it was in 2002. We use to go in regularly from up above campground and than run past the campground about a mile. Pull off on right side. Have ran all the way to resevoir only twice due to all the wood.
teleski1 is offline   Reply With Quote