Will the Yampa be too big this year? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Will the Yampa be too big this year?

Hi All, I have a Gates of Ladore trip June 20th and have a friend with a Yampa permit for June 10th. I have a raft group with lots of kids age 10-14, who love to duckie. I have heard there could be some big unscoutable stuff near Split Mtn. and below.

The Yampa will certainly be big this year. I'll add some information below from a USBR forcast report in April. May was cold and snowy up there.

Basically I'm wondering when a typical peak would be on the Yampa, and if anyone has experience with rafting big flows on the Yampa section and after it joins the Green.

Thanks!

From: Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Flaming Gorge Meeting Minutes

There is record snowpack in the Yampa river drainage. Current conditions indicate more SWE than the previous record years of 1986, 1997, and 1984, and the snow is still accumulating. April precipitation in the Yampa drainage has been 300% to 400% of average. The two river peaks seen recently at the Deerlodge gauge can be attributed to rain events only.

The peak flow forecast for the Yampa river at Deerlodge are:

2011 Forecast Exceedance Probability
90% 23,000 cfs

75% 25,000 cfs

50% 28,000 cfs

25% 33,000 cfs

10% 39,000 cfs

The peak recorded flow for the Deerlodge gauge is 33,200 cfs in 1984. The 2011 50% forecast would put this springs expected peak flow as second place on record. If the Yampa river were to see a little more than the 25% forecast, it would set a new all time record.

cisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #2

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I wouldn't put a 10yr old kid in a duckie on it at current flows. Others might. There are a couple of threads on here recently about high flows on the Yampa with videos.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #3

Iowa City, Iowa
It is supposed to get to 26000 cfs next week...should be interesting for anyone on the river!

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Grand Junction: Yampa River near Deerlodge Park"
Sagebrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisen View Post
Hi All, I have a Gates of Ladore trip June 20th and have a friend with a Yampa permit for June 10th. I have a raft group with lots of kids age 10-14, who love to duckie. I have heard there could be some big unscoutable stuff near Split Mtn. and below.

The Yampa will certainly be big this year. I'll add some information below from a USBR forcast report in April. May was cold and snowy up there.

Basically I'm wondering when a typical peak would be on the Yampa, and if anyone has experience with rafting big flows on the Yampa section and after it joins the Green.
The rule in Dinosaur is that you can only do one trip on either the Yampa or the Green per year so if you're thinking of doing both trips, you'll need to change your plans.

The Yampa flows into the Green which then flows through Whirlpool Canyon across Island Park, and then through Split Mountain. I don't know the Yampa but I'd expect Warm Springs will be pretty gnarly at expected levels, not sure you can walk around it at that flow. The flatwater sections of the Yampa and Island Park will probably be a lot of fun for kids in duckies, however the current will probably be cranking and the water very powerful. Even in the flatwater sections a swim could be really fast, the recovery much more demanding and multiple swimmers in a group could get spread out long distances pretty quickly.

Whirlpool Canyon is named for the powerful whirlpools that form all throughout it which could probably cause trouble for anyone in a ducky and especially a swimmer. I've had vortices like that pull me down and hold me under for a long time despite 25 lbs of floatation. Then there'll be Split Mountain where the rapids will be really rocking above 25K. I wouldn't want to ducky this myself at that level from what I have heard about SM that level.

As for sending 10-14 yr old kids down in duckies at that level, they better be some really adventurous types or you may turn them off whitewater permanently and have yourself a really miserable time in the process.

A couple of questions that may help your decision:

Will you have enough raft support that you can take the kids and their duckies through bigger rapids, possibly Whirlpool Canyon, and the full Split Mt. run?

More importantly, do the kids specifically want to go on the Yampa and Green at monster high water or will they be happy to go ducky with their friends and families anywhere they can? If what they want the most is some fun splashy water to go paddle duckies around in, another stretch of water probably would be better.

The risks may not be all that bad but the consequences could be significant.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Boy, I'm with Andy. Young children do not need to be on water at these levels. Swims can be long, long, long. Split Mountain will be big. From Teepee all the way to Little Joe is going to be a frieght train of fast water. Warms Springs will be a challenge, to say the least. Why risk it with youngin's?
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Has anybody else heard rumors about a change(blowout?) below Anderson hole? I have an old timer riverfriend putting on this week and he mentioned it. He picked a helluva week(along with the week we did in april) for the Yampa.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisen View Post

Thanks!

From: Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Flaming Gorge Meeting Minutes

There is record snowpack in the Yampa river drainage. Current conditions indicate more SWE than the previous record years of 1986, 1997, and 1984, and the snow is still accumulating. April precipitation in the Yampa drainage has been 300% to 400% of average. The two river peaks seen recently at the Deerlodge gauge can be attributed to rain events only.

The peak flow forecast for the Yampa river at Deerlodge are:

2011 Forecast Exceedance Probability
90% 23,000 cfs

75% 25,000 cfs

50% 28,000 cfs

25% 33,000 cfs

10% 39,000 cfs

The peak recorded flow for the Deerlodge gauge is 33,200 cfs in 1984. The 2011 50% forecast would put this springs expected peak flow as second place on record. If the Yampa river were to see a little more than the 25% forecast, it would set a new all time record.
So you're telling us that the Yampa is going to most likely be at record Spring flows and you're asking if you should take children in duckies? I think you would have to be a grade A retard to take them on that trip. But, then again...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
Has anybody else heard rumors about a change(blowout?) below Anderson hole? I have an old timer riverfriend putting on this week and he mentioned it. He picked a helluva week(along with the week we did in april) for the Yampa.

Are you calling Uncle Jerry an "old timer"?
When do you get your frame?
Didn't see you Saturday, we might have been too early for you (11:00 putin at Stevens)

I will be on the Poudre a lot as it gets BIG!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #9
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Re: the rapid below Anderson Hole: Not sure if it is a "blow out" or not, but there is a drop in there that the ranger warned us about that develops a flippy hole at higher flows. The hole is sneaky as it sits at the bottom of a wave train. Easy enough to miss by staying right. For us it was read and run. I think, but cannot be sure, that the hole will be covered by anything above 20K. We only saw it in the mid-teens, both last year and this year.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #10

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Haa,he's no spring chicken. And he's called me worse.
Were you with a big red cat? Hit me up again. It was much better on Sunday evening. Oh,I just got an email from T. Day last night. I'm waiting on that guy Pearen(think that's his username) to get off the MF and Selway,and then he's bringing the frame...so not this weekend,the next.

And so I'm not completely off-topic,I'll add that split mtn was pretty easy at 16k...but that's no 32k.....so basically disregard that.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote