Will Pay Extra $ To Fill Space on Private Permits - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-17-2006   #1

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Will Pay Extra $ To Fill Space on Private Permits

Ranger in Uintah High Mtn Wilderness with 8 on 6 off schedule looking to fill open space on private permits. WILL PAY EXTRA TO GO ON YOUR EXTENDED DAY TRIP. Yampa, Gates of Ladore, Deso, Cat, Westwater, San Juan, Middle Fork, Main Salmon, Salt, Jarbridge... PLEASE CALL ME!

Ryan Hotchkiss
(719) 641-9914

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so mister ranger dont you know the rules regarding private permits? it has to be equal cost sharing. now a little extra beer or offering to clean the groover would probably slip under the radar. you can also justify wear on vehicles and rafts in the cost sharing.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #3

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
ooops, should have written "will SUPPLY more"

I know why the rule is there... if cost wasn't split equally it would be a commercial trip... still, us kayakers should pay more for making rafters our mules... regardless, you're right and I should re-state what I said... I will supply more whatever it is that's in highest demand to fill a space on private permits. Thanks for setting me straight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006   #4

Gosh, shouldn't we give a ranger, especially one who's a kayaker, some extra slack? This wouldn't fall under the category of commercial at all.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil
Gosh, shouldn't we give a ranger, especially one who's a kayaker, some extra slack? This wouldn't fall under the category of commercial at all.
only when i am not being a punk!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #6

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
No worries

Private boaters get the bad end of the stick so often that some of us have a tendency to bend the rules once in a while... that wasn't what I was trying to do, but there has to be some kind of incentive for a rafter to invite a kayaker he's never met before. The beer idea was a good one.
Old 06-18-2006   #7

Golden, Colorado
i wouldn't take mania too seriously.

i think anyone who's had to jump through the lottery permit process and it's many,many rules enforced by the FS,BLM ect rangers finds it funny to have you post as a ranger and bend the rules abit.

personally, i agree with you. Most of my passengers on a permit river are not yakers or rafters and while I'm not a dick about it...I do appreciate it when they pick up extra expenses. After all, I'm supplying about $6k+ in rafting gear, take care of getting the permit, have a gas pig 4WD to get it all to the put in and invested allot of time/effort getting good enough to row a wilderness class IV. It only seems fair.

Anyway,good luck.
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #8

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
amen

after a decade of being called a "barnical" and "kayak scum" and a "leach" and a "hoser" and all in good fun, I've come to realize one thing about rafters, they're the nicest guys in the world if you show a little appreciation for what they do and respect the fact that they sure as heck don't need kayakers to come along on their trips. Even a kayaker with a permit is just slightly more valuable than worthless!

Anyway, I'll work hard to earn my keep but if I don't get on a trip soon I'm gonna go off the deep end! I only pulled one permit and it was a Salt trip for July... unfortunately the basin was at about thirty percent of normal the last time I looked in April. My g.f. didn't pull any, my Dad only pulled one, my Mom didn't get any and all my buddies seem to have pulled permits for the weeks I'm on shift... I'M DESPERATE!