wildwater boat questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2008   #1

wildwater boat questions

Maybe I'm sick but the idea of downriver racing sounds appealing. Do any of you buzzards know where one could purchase a use boat? Is there a big wildwater community in the front range? What should I expect to pay for a used boat? Is it true that staying upright is second relative to going fast? Should I give up the sport now and save myself the humility and cost of a new sport?

etnguppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnguppys View Post
Maybe I'm sick but the idea of downriver racing sounds appealing. Do any of you buzzards know where one could purchase a use boat? Is there a big wildwater community in the front range? What should I expect to pay for a used boat? Is it true that staying upright is second relative to going fast? Should I give up the sport now and save myself the humility and cost of a new sport?
I got into it this year and am hooked. Super fun and challenging. The best source for used boats is at www.usawildwater.com
There is a general lack of wildwater boats in the US right now. it is hard to find one. Good ones you should expect to pay between $1000-$1500 boat less than that may need some work. Wavehoppers are really hard to find right now. Speeders are an OK option but not nearly as fast as a DR boat. Otherwise Wildwasser in Boulder sells new Prijon boats but with the Euro kicking our ass right now they are not cheap.

Staying upright can be challenging at first. I will say that Class III in a wildwater boat can feel as hard as Class V in a creek boat has ever felt to me. Should you try it? Hell yes. Nothing worth doing is easy right? The feeling of flying down a river in a wildwater boat, making line choices while on the gas, can not be replicated in my opinion.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #3

I started paddling in sea yaks, but when I moved to CO touring options became very limited. I started white water kayaking three years ago and loved it once I got my roll. I think getting a wildwater boat might be a good cross between touring and white water.
etnguppys is offline   Reply With Quote