WikiRiverGuide - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2006   #1

Web Developer/Programmer
WikiRiverGuide

I got the idea last night that a WikiRiverGuide could be a great online resource for kayakers. If you don't know what a Wiki is, it is basically a website thats content can be changed by anyone. The idea here is that if we could get lots of kayakers to help contribute to an online guidebook we could quickly have a fairly comprehensive resource for all the rivers in the state, or country even. Anyways I got the site started, and the run description template built. All I need is for everyone to help me add runs and descriptions. If you already know about wiki this will be really easy for you. If you don't it might take a few seconds to get a hang of how things work, but once you do you'll have lots of fun helping out the boating cumminty.

Anyways check it out here:

http://coloradokayakers.com/wiki/php...php?RiverGuide

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006   #2

Locksmith
Send a message via Yahoo to elijah_lynn
Very cool thanks for the heads up!
elijah_lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #3

Nice idea, but most of what you would like to accomplish is already available on American Whitewater's River tools.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think that is an awesome idea, I thought about doing something similar. AW does have some good info, but it is definately incomplete, and doesn't get updated much. The info varies greatly by who the person is who wrote the description. It also lacks most of the CRC style putin, take out, fun facts, etc. type beta.

I would suggest that class ratings be consistent with ratings found in CRCII just so there is some point of reference.

Is there a way to add photos?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
I think that is an awesome idea, I thought about doing something similar. AW does have some good info, but it is definately incomplete, and doesn't get updated much. The info varies greatly by who the person is who wrote the description. It also lacks most of the CRC style putin, take out, fun facts, etc. type beta.
the problem is - how is his new site going to get more contributors than AW? its a chicken and egg problem. the only way to do this is as a full time job - who is going to pay for it? I had someone from AW bug me to be a streamkeeper so I did - but is our man here going to encourage sumissions beyond posting on mountainbuzz? its not sustainable and will fade out cause its incomplete like so many other projects of this nature. sorry to be so negative but maybe if we all contributed to AW it would be better.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #6

I agree. Let's stick to one site. AW is going and established. No need to have a flurry of info on multiple sites. Focus your energy on becomming a stream keeper.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #7

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
AW does have some good info, but it is definately incomplete, and doesn't get updated much. The info varies greatly by who the person is who wrote the description. It also lacks most of the CRC style putin, take out, fun facts, etc. type beta.
Just an FYI... you don't have to be a member of AW to update one of the river descriptions with comments. In fact you can be a streamkeeper for one of the rivers and put in just about anything you wanted (ie fun facts, pics, etc..) without being a member. The problem is exactly what Mania described, without some incentive the project just withers and dies. I've even approached some people about their local runs, offered to do all the work if they would just send me a 2 or 3 paragraph description, and got nada. I have more or less stopped trying because of the widespread disinterest I encountered. So, long story short, I wish you luck. But I think you would have to do something like coloradokayaking.com and tempt people with free schwag to get any kind of response...
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #8

Web Developer/Programmer
Thanks everyone for all the input. Chances are most of you are right and this is way more abitious than I had thought. I hung the guide off of our coloradokayakers.com site which is a fairly self sustaining little group. I may adapt the focus to that group and try and get more detailed descriptions of easier runs that sometimes get short changed in other guides. Who knows I think the idea is good, but there are many pitfalls and the project would probably be best in someone elses hands. I'm really just a slacker that got bored at work one day.

BTW, WhiteLightning yes you can add pictures, but they have to be already on the web someplace, you can't just upload them.