Why will Liquid Logic not warranty this boat???? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-22-2012   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Why will Liquid Logic not warranty this boat????

Will Liquidlogic Stand by their Drain Plugs? Less Than Optimal

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Because the boat was pinned underwater and that's not even close to normal wear and tear:

"Just in case you are wondering, the drain plug was lost while boat was stuck underwater for several days."

Did i miss something, why would they warranty it? They replied right away and offered to replace the drain plug, sounds right to me.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
That's hilarious!

"..missing drain plug changed the resonance frequency.."

Well played!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012   #4

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Flipping Hilarious!!!!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
hilarious.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #6

Goshen, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Because the boat was pinned underwater and that's not even close to normal wear and tear:

"Just in case you are wondering, the drain plug was lost while boat was stuck underwater for several days."

Did i miss something, why would they warranty it? They replied right away and offered to replace the drain plug, sounds right to me.
Sounds like normal wear and tear to me. Maybe that was a load bearing, structural plug...
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #7

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I don't think Peter knows what resonance frequency means?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #8

Hi,

I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.

An alternate explanation for alleged drain plug insufficiency is excessive flatulence on the part of the boater. The resultant internal pressure buildup could exceed design tolerances on the plug, particularly in cases where a relatively inflexible spray skirt is in use.

In that case, the only thing LiquidLogic could legitimately be accused of is not including a relief valve sufficient to deal with all reasonably foreseeable such pressures. (grin)

FWIW, and Merry Christmas to All.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #9

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
So...given the logarithmic progress of technology and litigiousness, I suspect we can expect to witness the below mentioned advances to our sport:

1) Jackson Kayaks will be the first manufacturer to install pressure-cooker relief valves just behind the Go-Pro mount on the bow of all their WW boats. Said valve will be offered in customizable bobble-head designs. You may submit a photograph and for a nominal charge, your pressure relief valve may look like whomever you want. The rate at which the bobbling occurs will tip you off to an unsafe pressure build-up belowdeck. Bobble settings will be adjustable from the cockpit by means of a simple lanyard that is easily field-repairable. Each kayak will be shipped with a year's supply of noseplugs. Rumors surface that JK will release a new model of their ever-popular Sweet Cheeks.

Dagger will take another tack and add more holeage.

2) Re-designed cockpit rims and skirt rands in response to all the complaints about skirt explosion. Additionally, the Institute of Whitewater Safety (IWS) will require skirt manufacturers to install decompression valves to allow for swimming, following a misfortune at the BV riverpark that wiped out a Beaver hutch and damaged a well-known brewpub.

3) Auxiliary float bag inflation compressors and stronger float bags to offset interior pressure buildup.

4) Breathalyzer exams at all put-ins. Any boater with .01 PPM of bean breath will be turned away.

Enjoy our freedom while you can this Holiday Season.
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCxp View Post

4) Breathalyzer exams at all put-ins. Any boater with .01 PPM of bean breath will be turned away.
This one is clearly obvious. If you ONLY have .01 you're way under medicated to paddle. A minimum of .03 is the barest minimum.