WHY!? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-20-2011   #1

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
WHY!? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - Extreme kayakers describe riding down Alabama's Noccalula Falls.

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
How better to get the "extreme" label? Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?
If I hucked 90 feet (which I haven't) and ended up swimming after tossing my paddle, but came away completely uninjured, I would consider that pretty damn successful... If you're wondering in the interest of the record books, then it's been debated, and you are missing the point of a sweet achievement.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
At a boy Cutch, sayin it the way it is. These boys rip and should be congratulated on something sweet.
Old 12-20-2011   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
How better to get the "extreme" label? Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?
I've had the same debate with the Hotel Charlie crew and they say yes, you huck, you live, successful run. I figure if you can go over Niagara Falls in a barrel and live with just dumb luck, why would running a waterfall in a kayak be so special? I consider any successful run ending up right side up in your boat. Swim = Bootie Beer
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #6

Denver,, exhaustion
in the video they say that 2 stayed in their boats and one swam.

anytime everyone comes away without a injury is a successful day on the river, but.....

there has to be a line drawn on what has been "run". (be that an industry standard, your crew's or your own personal line)

an example of my personal standard can be illustrated with a run one of our crew took on super max this summer. This particular paddler rolled 5 times in the rapid (not all in one spot either). In my book that is not successfully running the rapid, it is surviving the rapid.
Now others may disagree with me because she did stay in her boat, but with 5 rolls at no point was she in control, she was completely at the mercy of the river.

My 2 cents.

but i am curious what others think of this idea of a "successful run"'
Old 12-20-2011   #7

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I actually just posted this video b/c the dude interviewing is ridiculous.

Anyway, seeing that I don't send huge waterfalls, I would consider living through a 90ft stout drop pretty damn successful. If I got to the point where I had the skill set to run this kind of shit, then I would reevaluate the meaning of success and hope to stomp the landing.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #8

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you have no idea why someone (maybe not you, but someone) would do that, then I'm suprised you found this forum. I'm suprised you kayak and I'm suprised you ski.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
yeah, that guy doing the interview has no idea.

that was chris gratmans, issac levinson and pat keller. chris kept his paddle and stayed in the boat, pat chucked his paddle and got pushed out by the boil, issac came unglued. hahaha! sweet oportunity to send that stout. nice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
As pilots have been known to say, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing."
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote