Why no improvements to Golden play park? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2014   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Why no improvements to Golden play park?

What needs to be done to get some improvements made to the Golden play park? City Council Meetings, Fundraisers, etc? I'm just getting more into play boating and it's frustrating having one decent feature that usually has at least a half a dozen people in the Eddy. I love the BV play park but my wallet hurts after driving down there once a week for the last couple weeks… Why does a little town like BV have such an awesome river park but Golden is mediocre at best… I can't imagine the city of Golden being short on cash… Big expensive houses with high taxes, lots of business, a free fire department… Has anyone petitioned the city council to make improvements recently? I'd love to help out however I can. It's not like they'd be starting from scratch, just redoing what is already there. I know I'm new so maybe this has been covered before but what gives?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014   #2

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Yep, I stopped going to Golden, it really kind of sucks, unless you tag it on a LCC trip. Try Boulder Creek, it is much improved after the restoration.
Old 05-08-2014   #3
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Yep, I stopped going to Golden, it really kind of sucks, unless you tag it on a LCC trip. Try Boulder Creek, it is much improved after the restoration.
I've never been there. At this level do any features allow you to loop or cartwheel? My last trip to BV I got super close to finally getting a loop and would love somewhere local to practice more….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think it's the same problem in Golden as in Boulder. How the city defines success is different than how boaters define success. The play park has created a major hub in Golden and it's always teeming with activity. The grandstand hole is ok at certain levels but none of the features work at all. The whole park could be a lot better. Too bad.

Is the Boulder creek playpark really that much improved??? I'd be amazed.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #5

I know they were doing work on the lower hole (below the bridge) but don't know how it turned out. The library hole used to be super sweet at low water, then they put a bunch of rocks on the left side and now it is worthless. Seems like they could easily change that back....
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
...Is the Boulder creek playpark really that much improved??? I'd be amazed.
I am not a kayaker, but I walked the path over the weekend to check out the work they've been doing. You can tell where they've had the equipment in there and where they've tried to put things into specific places - improvement or not - and not just pulling out debris. There are certainly areas that appear to be different than they were last year, but are they "improved"? I guess we'll see soon.

I will say that one thing they did put some effort into is right after the bridge above Eban G Fine and just before that old dam drop. They cleaned that up a bunch, and placed the boulders in concrete. There's a nicely defined drop there now rather than the boulder garden that was there last fall. Changed for sure, you be the judge on improved on that one. Look fun to me, I'll test it in my minMax with my kids when the creek opens up past Broadway.

FYI, it was running about 100cfs when I walked it, and I've never really paid attention to it below about 300 cvs, so some things may look different just from that perspective alone.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
Why does a little town like BV have such an awesome river park but Golden is mediocre at best… ?
BV has an awesome river park because of the hard work of some dedicated community members who spent countless hours in town hall meetings, countless hours creating fund raisers (they do it every year), and countless hours writing to receive grants from GOCO (Great Outdoors Colorado).
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Well, I am not a play boater, but some of the new features probably have more potential, when the water comes up. At this level, it is probably more interesting in terms of running, then big time play playing?
Old 05-08-2014   #9
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
BV has an awesome river park because of the hard work of some dedicated community members who spent countless hours in town hall meetings, countless hours creating fund raisers (they do it every year), and countless hours writing to receive grants from GOCO (Great Outdoors Colorado).
Seems like now would be a great time to start trying to make this happen in Golden doesn't it? I've never written a grant before but I work with a lot of people that have. I'll look more into it. If all of us in the front range came together I can't imagine us not being heard…
Old 05-08-2014   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Golden doesn't have enough water to put anything into it. That rodeo hole gives up tricks if you get technically sound, bleachers is the chunder bit and library almost feels like a wave. What more do you want on a stream that rarely gets above 1000 cfs.

Tags
ark