Why are the holes in golden mediocre - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2010   #1

Why are the holes in golden mediocre

tons of $ has been spent on them and the park in general.

Mrkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #2

Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
imo, it probably has something to do with golden having lower flows and hardly any gradient. i'm sure there are other variants as well, but i will let the experts explain those.

for ex:

low flow, but descent gradient = lawson hole (before it was jacked)

high flow, average gradient = glenwood

good flows, good gradient = BV

good flows, low gradient = salida
A_Visceral_Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
There have been times when Golden was pretty cool. For example the Bingo Hole was pretty amazing for a season even down to 400 CFS. The library hole and bleecher hole had its moments as well.

Some of it has to do with the fact that river beds are not static. So eddies fill up with sediment and change the feature. As well this may cause the feature to move if not anchored well in the first place.

The Bingo hole was altered because it had a big rock behind it and at low water it was a risk. The library hole and bleacher hole both fell apart and needed repair. The changes altered the the hole.

It is my opinion that the companies in the US that construct these features just dont have it figured out like the ones in Europe do. While it is expected for the river bed to change I think that its fair to expect the experts in the field to repair them and for them to be useful especially considering the amount of money it cost to construct them.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #4

The rodeo hole has always been shallow. The bleacher hole was destroyed by someone who moved a rock around because every one was hitting it in low water (kudos to Chris for trying to work on it)
The library hole has never been as good after the down stream rock was moved because of whinny beginners
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #5

Paddling Since: 1993
Who says golden has low gradient? There would be ample gradient if they had not stacked the drops so close together. The problem with Golden lies soley on the designers. Remember this was one of the first in the state and Lacey and his group built it with a trial and error approach. A few years later they extended the park to its current extents and reworked a few of the drops. Sadly they still suck!
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #6
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
design, design, design.

The lawson hole itself had about a 1' gradient (the fact that it drops above & below are pointless aside from some velocity issues). You don't need/ want a hugely steep river to have a playpark.

The thing I just keep coming back to... the Lawson hole was just a couple of rocks stacked in the middle of the river & was good for many years before they F'd it up. It does not require a terribly complicated streambed to make a good feature.
Old 06-22-2010   #7

Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrekid View Post
Who says golden has low gradient? There would be ample gradient if they had not stacked the drops so close together. The problem with Golden lies soley on the designers. Remember this was one of the first in the state and Lacey and his group built it with a trial and error approach. A few years later they extended the park to its current extents and reworked a few of the drops. Sadly they still suck!
i guess i said so. i was taking a guess from the two times i have played there. you make a good point about the drops being so close together. that might have been why i felt the gradient was low because the flow was moving so slow... too many pools created by stacked drops. this leads to you being right about the problem being the design.

Quote:
Waterwindpowderrock says:
The lawson hole itself had about a 1' gradient (the fact that it drops above & below are pointless aside from some velocity issues). You don't need/ want a hugely steep river to have a playpark.
if you take a look at the new bv wave you will quickly see why your comment is not completely accurate. or have a look at the m-wave. what would you see if you looked at both of these features? a bunch of gradient (not hugely steep, just more gradient than the typical co playpark, which increases the velocity of the water), which creates a feature that is not mediocre.

i just moved out from the east coast about 4 months ago, and only visited CO before that, so i am not going to pretend that i know about all of CO's playparks and how to design them. but it is pretty obvious why certain natural features in west virginia are incredible... gradient (which increases velocity) and volume of water (which increases velocity).
A_Visceral_Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #8

Lawson got f'd up?

That is the best low water hole in the state.

What the hell happened?
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #9
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Well... we had a much better than mediocre feature in lawson.
Now we have a much LESS than mediocre feature in lawson

Did the gradient change...?
Old 06-23-2010   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Visceral_Revolt View Post
imo, it probably has something to do with golden having lower flows and hardly any gradient. i'm sure there are other variants as well, but i will let the experts explain those.

for ex:

low flow, but descent gradient = lawson hole (before it was jacked)

high flow, average gradient = glenwood

good flows, good gradient = BV

good flows, low gradient = salida
You left off Pueblo which might be the best spot around at higher flows