Who's packin' a guitar and what is your wepon of choice? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-30-2013   #1

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Who's packin' a guitar and what is your wepon of choice?

Just built a dry box big enough to start bringing a guitar or acoustic bass or possibly a bucket bass. Made me wonder what others are using. Pictures are always welcome. Nothin better than jammin' tunes on the river, I have a trip coming up with three of my old pickin buddys, should be hot times.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Looks like some headbanging going on there. Are one of you in there?

I too have a drybox big enough for a git. Mostly used as the kitchen box these days.
Was useful on the Grand after we downloaded enough beer and groceries so the breakdown didn't have to breakdown anymore.

I suck at playing but bang out some blues and stuff when I can.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #3

Yeah, the two in front, I played bass with Strive Roots and the guitar/singer will be coming on the trip with his wife. Got another friend that I played with for 5 years and ran open mic's with joining the trip too. Strive is out in oregon still playing shows. My rock and roll days are more or less over but I still pick regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I haven't played a guitar since I was a teenager (many moons ago). Last year I picked up a little three stringed instrument called a McNally Strumstick. Measures about 30 inches long and about 4 inches at the widest point. Fits easily in my dry box. I'm still just noodling around with it, but it's pretty easy to pluck out a tune. I need to buckle down and really learn how to play it properly. It sounds kind of like a dulcimer.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I usually bring a cheap guitar in a JPW guitar dry bag. I fantasize about bringing my Martin in a Carlton or Pegasus case, inside a guitar bag but doubt I'll ever do it...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #6

I put the guitar in a hard shell case, put the case in a plastic garbage bag, and then in my Jack's plastic guitar bag. The guitar bag is so big, that I also have room to stuff my sleeping bag in there around the guitar. The sleeping bag provides extra insulation/cushion and also will absorb some water if there is really wet ride. After many trips the guitar is always dry.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I just got off a San Juan trip earlier this month. I brought my guitar and my buddy brought his mando. On the San Juan there wasn't too much worry of the instruments getting messed with, especially at low water. I wrapped my guitar in a garbage bag, then put it in a soft case, then tossed it in another garbage bag. We didn't have any problems, and it's always fun to bring some music!
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #8

Wish I could play a mando but I cant ever get over the upside down tuning. Sure would be easy to pack. I have one that was my great grandads but I dont pick it often. Its worth too much and the strings are from the 50s. I'm going to bring the upright bass on the yellowstone boat float this year. I think I can fit a small bluegrass band on the deck of the 18 footer. My buddy just got a snout boat, he says we can fit a rock band on it! One of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Nico View Post
I just got off a San Juan trip earlier this month. I brought my guitar and my buddy brought his mando. On the San Juan there wasn't too much worry of the instruments getting messed with, especially at low water. I wrapped my guitar in a garbage bag, then put it in a soft case, then tossed it in another garbage bag. We didn't have any problems, and it's always fun to bring some music!
Old 03-31-2013   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Spider, there's gotta be a way to rig up that bass and just use it to float down the river!
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Nico View Post
Spider, there's gotta be a way to rig up that bass and just use it to float down the river!

Thats funny because I always joke about using it as a boat. It has a fiberglass back and plywood front so its pretty tough and can be fixed. Heres how I fixed it in arkansas. I used to stand up on it and ride it but as I approched 200lbs it got a bit more busted up. I keep it on the floor now.