Who fixes broken Golden playpark? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2005   #1
dvc

Who fixes broken Golden playpark?

I have watched the drop at the library hole in the Golden playpark slowly deteriorate this season. In March, a large slab of rock and concrete on river right came loose and stood up on end making a nice tight alernate route as flows rose to 800.

Later in June and July this same chunk became a nice strainer hammering people on tubes and causing several near drownings of people who thought this whole place was a safe secure sterile Disney ride where you could be stupid and still have fun.

In the last week or so, the whole piece on river right let go with the result being that only about half the water coming over the drop goes down the intended chute with the rest going around through the new opening.

Question: who repairs this kind of stuff? Is it Golden's responsibility? Who to call to get repairs when the water gets low enough? With 5000 tubers and swimmers a day coming through, this hole was about the only decent part of the park to paddle for a few minutes on a hot busy day without running into people.

Thanks.

dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005   #2

The river seems to be making its own repairs...
wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #3

There is a Clear Creek Whitewater Park Advisory Board, made up of boaters, one of which is also on the Golden City Council - I will forward a link to this post to the members. FYI, however, budget for alterations/repairs to the park needs to come from the City Council, so all we can do is request the money and provide input on what changes should be made.
I haven't been down that far in a while, but if it is a safety issue as you say, the Council may jump on it - I know they're watching events in Pueblo closely....
Caiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005   #4

I agree, that place needs to be cleaned up. It seems to get more messed up as each year passes by--bleecher hole. I saw a guy down there who said that a rock was moved by some people with machinery, is this true?
matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #5

"with the result being that only about half the water coming over the drop goes down the intended chute"... Apparently what you perceive as the intended chute is your own erroneous perception...

"this same chunk became a nice strainer hammering people on tubes and causing several near drownings".. Man made obsticles are always the most dangerous. Is the the intention of altering a river or only the consequence...

or are we looking for "a safe secure sterile Disney ride where you could be stupid and still have fun"...

Long after all the damns have breached and eroded away, after these mountains pass and new ones arise, though the river may bend to meet its new coarse, it will remain. No guy with machinery needs to move those rocks, the river will take care of herself. Again, apperently the chute was intended to be a bit more to the right.

Just a thought though you may feel it unpopular, the truth, as the river, remains.
wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #6

I realize that the river is working its magic on the rocks and land like it has for who knows how long, but in this little split second of geologic time there happens to be a kayak park there that some people like to splash around in. Unpopular as it may seem to you we or I just want to know if a human readjustment of rocks in the river may happen, is happening or has happened and where to go to do it.

Much like the sand throught an hour glass so...are the days of our lives.
matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Library hole's fine. The moved rock didn't make any difference. The drop in the water flow did.
Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
BTW, the rock came down almost a month ago. I heard it was removed intentionally because of the near drownings.
Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #9

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Is it just me or is the bleacher hole rockin for right-sided cartwheels. I have been taking my friend (beginner) there lately and have been suprised how good the play still is at this spot! And there is almost never a line. Where are all the front range playboaters???? Not in golden.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Yeah I think some fixing needs to be done also. I am just concerned about who they get to do the fixing. A couple of years ago some boaters worked hard made the bingo hole. It was the coolest low flow play features that I have ever been in. People were throwing loops at around 350cfs, Blunts were fun at 200 and it was still pretty dang fun at 170. Someone appointed by this comittee tried to "fix" it and totally screwed it up so that now it is more dangerous than before. (the rock on sufers left is particularly dangerous.)

It also would be cool to rework a couple of the drops. For example the rapid right after the bleacher hole has enough gradient to create a pretty cool play feature. Right now that drop is an afterthought. The Library hole could be choked up a bit more on the left side as well.

benrodda
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark