Whitewater Terminology - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2009   #1
 
AB, AB
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Whitewater Terminology

My husband has been paddling for many years, but I just started 2 season’s ago. Remembering all the proper terms has been a challenge.
For instance – “Peeling out” means pulling out of an eddy. Yup… got that!
So Eddying out must mean the same thing right?….WRONG!!!
Well, I was using Eddy In and Eddy out. “In” meaning going In to the eddy and “Out” meaning going out of the eddy. Hubby is now really dismayed cause he never really knows what I am talking about. However, he told me that I have invented a whole new term in whitewater kayaking. It is called the “Eddy Over.” Ya…that’s me. Pull into the Eddy and fall over. I've become quite good at this. They tell me it is because I stay on the fence. Good thing I can roll.
Well at least I have all winter to study the terminology. I think Hubby liked it better when I was “Shuttle Bunny”

j-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2009   #2
 
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 950
The eddy over huh? Thats kinda funny because as everyone was learning and they 1st flew into an eddy from a fast current they did the same thing!

Think of it as eddy out meaning to get out of the current. Pealing out means going from a stop to a quick start (like in a car) so your in an eddy stopped and you pull into the current and all the sudden are going fast so you peeled out.

As soon as you get good enough to run his runs he will much better like you with him than as a shuttle bunny! GL and have fun....don't let him push you too fast and welcome to the rivers!




Quote:
Originally Posted by j-star View Post
My husband has been paddling for many years, but I just started 2 season’s ago. Remembering all the proper terms has been a challenge.
For instance – “Peeling out” means pulling out of an eddy. Yup… got that!
So Eddying out must mean the same thing right?….WRONG!!!
Well, I was using Eddy In and Eddy out. “In” meaning going In to the eddy and “Out” meaning going out of the eddy. Hubby is now really dismayed cause he never really knows what I am talking about. However, he told me that I have invented a whole new term in whitewater kayaking. It is called the “Eddy Over.” Ya…that’s me. Pull into the Eddy and fall over. I've become quite good at this. They tell me it is because I stay on the fence. Good thing I can roll.
Well at least I have all winter to study the terminology. I think Hubby liked it better when I was “Shuttle Bunny”
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #3
 
Redpaddle's Avatar
 
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 214
Welcome to the second best thing to running rivers: talking about running rivers! Over the course of many winters every riverman or woman finely hones their ability to describe rivers and rapids in excruciatingly complex and needlessly verbose ways. This is a talent that frequently supersedes their own true paddling ability and definitely takes longer than running the actual river.

You may find these salty characters in a tightly bound circle at a party, swapping stories that no one else understands or cares about. Social outcasts, these men and women fuel their creative vocabulary with beer upon beer until the description of their latest exploits reaches a truly epic and indiscernible level.

choice terms include:

mank
boof
gnarly
sticky
glassy
fader
knee deep
rippin
chunder

Armed with these and many many other words, the river-person can combine and modify any sentence to truly wend their tale. Take these examples:

"So he drops into this f$%&ing sticky hole and gets CHUNDERED..."

"Then you come up to this horizon line and you gotta do a right fader boof to dodge the sieve and that hole is backed up by a log right? so you gotta keep the bow up and...."

"So I'm knee deep in this b&*ch and gettin worked. my paddle gets ripped out of my hand and I'm tryin to hand roll outta this thing because Chaos is just downstream..."

As you can see, river terminology and story telling is a sport almost as exciting as paddling and with some practice you too can join the ranks of misfits who have no one else to tell their stories to.

Hang in there, make sure to add 10 feet to any drop and 1/4 mile to any swim and you should be fine!
__________________
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2009   #4
 
AB, AB
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
You all make me laugh & made my day. THX...Here goes a try with a story.
Hmmmm....I was paddling along the glassy tongue of water, trying to find the line to boof over the gnarly 10 ft. drop. Missed the line and got manked. Should of Eddied IN...ooops I mean Eddied out first and scouted. Got pushed into an under cut rock broke my hand and swam for 1/2 a mile.
How was that!!! This story is actually somewhat true except the drop was very tiny, it was only class 3 and you have to be a complete idiot to miss the line and hit the rocks in the middle. Instead I chose to run it upside down and did just that. Lost my paddle when I broke my hand.
Still love kayaking though. Nuts!!! I know.
j-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #5
 
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpaddle View Post
As you can see, river terminology and story telling is a sport almost as exciting as paddling and with some practice you too can join the ranks of misfits who have no one else to tell their stories to.
Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself when I'm explaining the gnar gnar from my last adventure to friends and family that don't paddle.

Kayaking is DA BOMB!!!
LDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #6
 
raftus's Avatar
 
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-star View Post
You all make me laugh & made my day. THX...Here goes a try with a story.
Hmmmm....I was paddling along the glassy tongue of water, trying to find the line to boof over the gnarly 10 ft. drop. Missed the line and got manked. Should of Eddied IN...ooops I mean Eddied out first and scouted. Got pushed into an under cut rock broke my hand and swam for 1/2 a mile.
How was that!!! This story is actually somewhat true except the drop was very tiny, it was only class 3 and you have to be a complete idiot to miss the line and hit the rocks in the middle. Instead I chose to run it upside down and did just that. Lost my paddle when I broke my hand.
Still love kayaking though. Nuts!!! I know.
Not so sure that 'mank' is used as a verb, it's more of a noun. Like 'that is a manky rapid.' Or 'All the road construction debris makes Clear Creek super manky at low water.' Chundered is a verb and you can definitely get chundered after missing a line. If you are kayaking you can also get window shaded - and sometimes a cataraft can get window shaded - which is truly spectacular to see. 'Getting worked' is also something that happens when you get surfed or take a bad swim. 'Glassy tongue' isn't a term that is often used - usually glassy is going to refer to a wave that you can surf and 'glassy' just means that it is unusually smooth. Good luck.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #7
 
AB, AB
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
What does window shade mean? I have a lot to learn!
j-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #8
 
bobbuilds's Avatar
 
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,706
Dump trucked, surfed, subbed out, prairie dogging it, plugged, worked, hammered, i mean hot dogging.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #9
 
Redpaddle's Avatar
 
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 214
don't listen to these guys J-star. when you use a pronoun as a verb it only makes the story better. I am a big fan of the term: "I got manked" that is seriously one for the campfire. I think you did great in that story.

But for the reals, for a second, I do think it is valuable to have a good terminology base with your paddling partners. There are no absolutes for this, it just develops over time. I have friends who can tell me about a rapid for an hour and I still have no idea what to expect and other friends who can look me in the eye and give me the best beta in 3 words.

That being said, you are right, there are some terms that are somewhat universal. Like you mentioned: Eddy Out means, in fact, pull OUT of the current into an EDDY. This stuff is important. Fortunately, the real serious stuff is pretty cut and dried. You won't hear anyone in the river yelling: "he's not A SWIMMER!" or "there is no ROPE needed!" it is always good to go over basic terminology with new people in your crew before you put in but the basics are pretty self explanatory.

Sorry to hear you had a bad run, glad to hear you are still hooked. Everyone here will tell you the payoff is much larger than the risk. Even if you are "droppin a gnarly 30 footer into a manky pool with a sieve filled runout and tons of chundery [email protected] me rocks all over."

good on ya!
__________________
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #10
 
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 950
If you want to hear some creative river terminology about getting worked or hitting the mank or whatever ask BOB to describe his "ride" in red house hole!

Lets here it Bob!

Also lets hit up whiteline asap!!! Don't give me this too cold/ski season crap either!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best whitewater kayak for me? RaleighB Kayaking | Gear Talk 21 06-11-2009 12:10 PM
Whitewater— in a can! Chip The Eddy 0 04-11-2009 09:23 PM
New to whitewater. monkeyman164 Whitewater Kayaking 7 03-25-2008 07:20 PM
kayaking terminology????help a newbie out mtnkayaker Whitewater Kayaking 3 02-28-2008 10:53 PM
Whitewater Weekend/Front Range Whitewater Championships ChrisW Whitewater Kayaking 0 05-11-2005 10:33 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.