Whitewater Racing Survey - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-07-2008   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Whitewater Racing Survey

Please feel free to pass this on to other boaters. Quick (less than 2 minutes) general interest survey.

Thanks for the help. More on what this is all about as it comes together.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=V1Qknn5nUPjOyTIs51KfMQ_3d_3d

PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008   #2

It says the survey is closed. I vote head-to-head sprint races or team races with sick prizes like drysuits and belt buckles and 40s. And creek boat slalom.
Old 12-08-2008   #3

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I second Cutch. I'd like to see fewer time trials on empty courses and more head-to-head and giant slalom.

The two giant slalom races I participated in this year were the best kayaking competitions I have been involved in. Super challenging, super competitive racing on rivers that I would have been out paddling anyway. Plus, the slalom format is more spectator friendly than a downriver race because it is all focused on one rapid.

Another idea would be to do relays (team races). We had a sweet one on the North Fork a few years back: three person teams, 5 mile legs, top, middle, and lower 5. That format made the race inclusive for people not wanting to be lactic dropping into Jake's or Nut and "fun" for those that did. PBRs work well as batons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Sorry about that. The survey maxed out from the huge response rate it got. I saved and cleared the results so if you would like to take the survey you can.

Good ideas about the Slalom and Team Races. We had a ridiculous mass start slalom through a rapid on Burnt Ranch this year where no one knew where the "gates" (beers) were. It was chaos but was super fun dodging people looking for the gates all while paddling through a long class IV.
PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
How does a Giant Slalom race work in Whitewater?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
They seem to hang gates throughout a river run, varying in difficulty to reach - above, below, and in the middle of drops.

LVM has had some good coverage of it on OBJ but couldnt find that video. On their archives page they have a story and some good pics about a giant slalom race on the east coast here:

LVMTV Archives | LVMVIDEO
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #7

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
There were three basic types of gates in the giant slalom races this year: green hanging gates (pass on the left), red hanging gates (pass on the right), and blue 'marker' gates (usually mark eddies, paddler must be 'inside' the imaginary line created by the marker). Touch a gate, add 10 seconds to your time, miss a gate add 50 seconds. Unlike conventional slalom where your whole run through a rapid is dictated by the position of the gates, in a giant slalom the racer has the time and space to choose how they will approach the gates. Some gates have a 'correct' line and some gates can be caught in a variety of ways.

The courses (Little White, NF Payette, OBJ, and Green Narrows) were all set on challenging, but accessible rapids. Basically, if you were comfortable running all the rapids on the river you would be comfortable running the slalom lines. Usually there was one or two mandatory sketchy lines on a given course. For instance, on the North Fork, you had to punch the meat biggest hole in Otter's Slide rapid to catch the gate below the hole.
Old 12-09-2008   #8

Giant Slalom could be really fun
aevanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #9

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Agree. But also make a "run what ya' brung" division. Boat limits are weak, like putting a govenor on your motor. Find the fastest thing you feel comfortable paddling and bring it. Who cares about year, make or model? Get over the short boat classes and limiting the potential times. I used to race short boats all the time and realize now its like lawn mower racing. Go really fast or at least as fast as possible without limiting yourself.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #10

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
My vote is to have a race in the Rockies on a clean and quality run. Why do so many races in Colorado showcase our mank? Why not vallecito?