White Water Safety Movie - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: In which format would like to see the White Water Safety Movie?
NTSC-DVD (USA / Canada region specific DVD / TV) 7 33.33%
HD Download 14 66.67%
PAL (Europe - for non regional DVD / TV) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012   #1

Largs, Scotland
Paddling Since: 1985
White Water Safety Movie

Hello from Scotland. I have a question for you guys!

The New White Water Safety Movie that has just been released in Europe is being converted to NTSC format for the USA / Canada.

Its White Water Safety & Rescue split into 10 easy to follow chapters to introduce anyone to the basic concepts and techniques that help us all stay safer and have more fun on the river.

The instructional movie was filmed at the Rio Noguera Pallaresa in the Spanish Pyrenees, on multiple HD cameras by award winning filmmaker Paul Diffley and edited by a TV editor here in Scotland.

We're trying to gauge interest so that we can estimate how many copies to get duplicated at the start so as not to disappoint anyone.

For more information have a look at our website;

Eddyline Films - White Water Safety Movie

Or come and see us on Facebook

Please let us know if you are interested, we are working on getting NTSC and Download formats for you.

Its written, presented and produced by my friend Dougie Shannon and me, Bruce Jolliffe.

Any questions you can contact me at [email protected]

Best wishes,

Bruce

Thanks to Andy Horn for letting us post here to start with. Once we get NTSC DVDs and the Downloads sorted we'll be lurking in the commercial forum.

Bruce Jolliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Why disc drives are an endangered species - CNN.com

DVD's will die in a year or two. blu-ray is already dead.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What?!? I just bought my first bluray player wed. Still have vhs set up on our 2nd tv too....
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt
What?!? I just bought my first bluray player wed. Still have vhs set up on our 2nd tv too....
Yeah but thats only cause they haven't released the chippendales christmas special on any other format
Old 12-06-2012   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Ha! Really, old yoga tapes, kind of boring
Old 12-07-2012   #6

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
It looks really good from the teaser and I'm sure a huge amount of effort has gone in, but I'm not sure how many people would pay 20 quid for a DVD or download....

How long is the video?
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #7

Largs, Scotland
Paddling Since: 1985
White Water Safety Movie - Run time

Hi PhilM,

The runtime is 95 minutes (approx).

When you think that our price is similar to the going rate for most new kayak vids that are 45 minutes long then it represents twice the value.

And then consider that it is not a watch once DVD, its a reference material that people will go back to again and again.

And it has been produced using TV industry professionals.

Actually, for 20 quid, you're getting quite a lot. The download will be slightly cheaper as production costs drop with their being no physical thing to send out.

I hope that helps clarify.

Best wishes,

Bruce
Bruce Jolliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #8

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
Fair point!! Yeah, saving a few pounds for the download would be good, and 95 minutes is a lot of footage. Count me in!!
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Whitewater safety and rescue is best taught in a classroom/river environment. Would you take a Wilderness First Responder class by video? How about a climber's rescue clinic? In my opinion, at any price, this is not the best way to learn important skills. Take a SWR class, boat with experienced boaters, practice knots and systems, and learn through real world experience is my suggestion.

CROAA has its outfitters showing an animated safety video to commercial rafting guests now to limit liability and it's stupid! These are question and answer concepts, even for the first timer. Videos are a great way to present noncritical educational materials, but I don't see them replacing the outdoor classroom.

As a supplement this could be a good tool, however and I hope it helps save lives. Just make sure you market it as a supplement to proper teaching.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Whitewater safety and rescue is best taught in a classroom/river environment. Would you take a Wilderness First Responder class by video? How about a climber's rescue clinic? In my opinion, at any price, this is not the best way to learn important skills. Take a SWR class, boat with experienced boaters, practice knots and systems, and learn through real world experience is my suggestion.

CROAA has its outfitters showing an animated safety video to commercial rafting guests now to limit liability and it's stupid! These are question and answer concepts, even for the first timer. Videos are a great way to present noncritical educational materials, but I don't see them replacing the outdoor classroom.

As a supplement this could be a good tool, however and I hope it helps save lives. Just make sure you market it as a supplement to proper teaching.
I agree that a formal classroom and river practice environment is necessary. I also like the video resources for those just wanting to refresh from time to time.

As far as the whole "blu-ray is dead", I say what ev... It'll be around long enough for people to transition. No need to panic quite yet. Hell, you can still find vhs players that work. Damn, I remember renting vhs players.