White Water by Carson City, NV? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-12-2010   #1

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
White Water by Carson City, NV?

Things have happend and there is a SLIGHT possibility that MAYBE I will move to Carson City, NV... you can blame the Vail Daily, or rather Colorado Mountain News Media for moving their entire graphic design department to Carson City, NV.

ANYWAY... I've been trying to search around to find what they have out there for kayaking as I've been spoiled learning out here in Eagle County.

I'm a new boater, just started last season... Have my Super Hero and my Kingpin playboat. I've run Shoshone a few times, but that is the hardest run i've done.

I'm looking for runs similar to Shoshone, Upper C, Grizz, etc. in the Carson City area but dont know the names of any of the rivers in the area or the runs... anyone have any tips...

PS yes i've been scanning eddy flower already...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There is a fun play park on the Truckee river right in downtown Reno. Also the Truckee river itself that follows I80 down from Tahoe. I believe they are both class II-III+ depending on the level. A good resource for the Cali scene is boof.com, the california whitewater community - Powered by vBulletin. Most of the Class IV-V stuff is on the other side of the Mountains...Good luck out there if ya go and enjoy the Sierra Cement!!
snorangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #3

Avon, Colorado
Yeah i saw on AW that the Truckee is like a 2.5 hour class II-III river... I've been to the Reno play park and its a pretty cool set up running right through the city.

Guess i just got used to walking out my door and right to the river... cant be spoiled forever i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010   #4

Avon, Colorado
Anyone else have any info on the Truckee river streach?

Eddyflower doesnt really have anything on it =(
Old 04-14-2010   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
AW has better run descriptions. People here go across the boarder to Cali to get their down river/creeking fixes, it is about a 2.5 hr drive to the American may be your best bet for year round releases, there are also some stretches of the Truckee above Truckee, Ca like giant's gap that are a harder stretches then the truckee along I-80.
Old 04-14-2010   #6

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Oh, and there is a Yahoo group that you would want to check out Reno Kayakers. Many people around Reno are also part of Gold Country paddlers as well. There is actually a surprisingly active kayak scene here.
Old 04-14-2010   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
when are you moving? the carson should start running soon.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #8

Avon, Colorado
Bad, thanks for the input... I'm just concerned that there isnt a kayak scene like there is here in CO.

But I dont know when I'm moving exactly... everything is up in the air with my girlfriends job, and me transfering to Heavenly, finding another summer job, etc.

But i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to get my fix if I do end up going to Carson City. I appreaciate all the help... I'm having a hard time trying to find runs that i can do and who to boat with when i get there. Again thanks for any help or input, it all helps make me feel a bit better.
Old 04-14-2010   #9

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
The Walker might have some stuff that is up your alley, I think there is a II+ stretch on there. Carson city is on the wrong side of the divide as far as whitewater but you are within striking distance of the S. Fork American and all of the forks of the American. If you are stoked on ww then you will end up driving and no, the scene is NOT the same as CO at all. Small crews and driving are the norm out here but you might be stoked that you can get the SFA any day of the year pretty much. Read up on western slope of the Sierra's cause if you are serious about boating that is where you will end up spending your time.

Dreamflows Realtime Report

link might help in terms of what you want to drive for. Operative word being drive.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #10

Kern River too. Not sure what the drive is from Carson City but great river with lots of camping options around it. If you go to the park in Kernville around 9am and start talking to the people who show up, there are some good sections for you to do with easy shuttle drives that can be done several times. I used to drive there almost every weekend from L.A. It usually took 3.5 to 4 hours but was always worth it.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote