White Rock Canyon low water TR - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2013   #21

Santa fe, New Mexico
Where is the launch site in Espanola for White Rock canyon float?

DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013   #22

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's a good question. I have heard people talk about launching from Espanola, but I don't know where they accessed the water. It is illegal to use Ottowi bridge now. The most common launch point is Buckman Crossing, but it's not exactly a safe place to leave a vehicle....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #23

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Where is the launch site in Espanola for White Rock canyon float?
I have previously launched off the Levee Service Road, but the access I used (next to the Dominos) off of Hwy 30 is now blocked.

This link will show you the area.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

It may be possible to access the Levee Service Road another way, but I am not sure. It would probably be possible to access it some other way, but I have not explored it.

Are you thinking rafts or kayaks/duckies? Probably could swing doing it quickly with small boats. Folks in Espanola have other stuff to worry about.....
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013   #24

Corrales, New Mexico
A few years ago I got permission from San Ildefonso Pueblo to launch from the Otowi Bridge. Not sure if they still do that, it was like $5/head.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #25

Santa fe, New Mexico
Espanola-Otowi Bridge?

Going solo with an IK this Sunday. I may try the Levee road. What is the float from Espanola to Otowi bridge like?

Also can I drive easily on Buckman road to the put-in with a low clearance 2WD?

PS: I called San Idelfonso they say they don't sell permits to launch from any of their land anymore.
Old 07-05-2013   #26

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Espanola to Buckman

Class II flat water. A bit of nice scenery by black mesa. In Espanola I've loaded and unloaded by the bridges by just carrying from nearby parking lots. Was also allowed to pull to the water at a local gravel pit after asking. As someone above posted, the authorities there have bigger issues than a boater. Just don't walk across obviously posted property and you should be okay.

Get someone to shuttle your car. It's flat water, but it's water!
Old 07-05-2013   #27

Santa fe, New Mexico
Buckman

Can I drive easily on Buckman road to the put-in with a low clearance 2WD?
Old 07-07-2013   #28

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Can I drive easily on Buckman road to the put-in with a low clearance 2WD?
Yes, but be cautious as you approach the water, it gets to be very deep sand for the last 50-100 ft or so. Turn around in the big flat by the pumping station if you have concern. Also, I would suggest Kokopelli Rafting for shuttle. They had a guide who was in need of work help us out "under the table". I think we gave him $40-50 and a couple buds.

I would not suggest leaving a vehicle at Buckman. Last trip we camped there and only saw 1 suburban full of homies come through with music blasting and spinning donuts.... the security patrol that we spoke with in the morning said we were lucky that's all we saw, they had just finished filling the bullet holes in the pump station building...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #29

Santa fe, New Mexico
500cfs

Just got off the White rock canyon/Rio Grande at 500cfs. Gate to National Forest before Buckman/RioGrande is closed for fire reasons. It's 1/2mile walk, don't get caught there is a security guard on site (he was waiting at the gate to tell us off when we came back out.)
Great trip. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll put in at Espanola next time and make it a 2 or 3 night and will go down on my packraft as my IK was dragging with low water levels starting at Alamo canyon to Medio Canyon when the dam water stops the flow.
PS: Experienced a flash flood while hiking up an arroyo. Pretty amazing. It sounded like a class II coming down towards me. Got out in time to take a video. Black, full of mud.
Old 07-08-2013   #30

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Just got off the White rock canyon/Rio Grande at 500cfs. Gate to National Forest before Buckman/RioGrande is closed for fire reasons. It's 1/2mile walk, don't get caught there is a security guard on site (he was waiting at the gate to tell us off when we came back out.)
Great trip. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll put in at Espanola next time and make it a 2 or 3 night and will go down on my packraft as my IK was dragging with low water levels starting at Alamo canyon to Medio Canyon when the dam water stops the flow.
PS: Experienced a flash flood while hiking up an arroyo. Pretty amazing. It sounded like a class II coming down towards me. Got out in time to take a video. Black, full of mud.
Please post any pictures and details if you can. Always looking for more first hand info on running White Rock Canyon at various water levels.
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote