White gas stove on the river.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2008   #1
cma

Boulder
White gas stove on the river..

Doing a trip on the green this coming weekend.. What is everyone's opinions on bringing a Coleman white gas burning stove and can of fuel on the river? Got it as a gift but would have prefered the propane version. In the past I have used backpacking camp burners with the small propane canisters.. Doing a very flatwater section so I think the odds of a spill or swamping are pretty slim but the thought of a worse case scenario of the fuel can falling in the river somehow worries me a little..

cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you're as diligent and watchful of the fuel can as you are the beer, you should be fine - just make sure its not in with or next to the food. If its not too late to return it for a propane stove, I highly recommend that.

Have a good trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
The only problem with propane is when it is cold out the stove doesn't work as well. I actually like the white gas stove better.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma View Post
the thought of a worse case scenario of the fuel can falling in the river somehow worries me a little..
Why would a fuel can fall in anymore that anything else on the raft? especially a propane canister? They are the same thing...strap them down

I prefer white gas because the canisters are refillable (atleast the ones I use) and you don't just throw them away each time...and you know how much is left.
Browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntown View Post
Why would a fuel can fall in anymore that anything else on the raft? especially a propane canister? They are the same thing...strap them down.
You're right, I can't imagine losing one on a flat water trip but just wanted to be sure it wasn't considered bad river ettiquite..
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
just wondering: Is it refillable, or do they sell white gas canisters?
Old 04-22-2008   #7

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The white gas is sold in gallon containers and can then be transfered to Aluminum fuel bottles. These bottles are very durable and can be re-used. This of course eliminates the waste of yet another propane cylinder. I think it burns better anyway. I also have to agree with Andy H. treat is as if it were your last beer.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeoym View Post
The white gas is sold in gallon containers and can then be transfered to Aluminum fuel bottles. These bottles are very durable and can be re-used. This of course eliminates the waste of yet another propane cylinder. I think it burns better anyway. I also have to agree with Andy H. treat is as if it were your last beer.
That is what I use. Just wondering if people use disposable white gas. Sounds like a bad idea to me...environmentally atleast.
Old 04-23-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
As far as I know, there aren't any disposable white gas containers. I suppose you could throw away each MSR bottle as you go through it, but otherwise they're not like the propane or butane canisters, since they don't need to be pre-pressurized.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Just bought a new mrs pocket stove for this year. super light weight and boils in about 3 minutes it cost about $40 for the stove which is a bomb ass deal super leight weight like 3 oz or something like that.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote