Which Whitewater boat for Ocean surfing - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2011   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Which Whitewater boat for Ocean surfing

I already have an Necky orbit fish and Phyrana stretch. I have not been paddling for the last couple of years but am moving to the Ocean and hoping my schedule may be better and start doing some paddling. In particular some ocean surfing.

I have already bought a sea kayak and want to sell one of my white water boats. Looking for some advice on which boat will handle ocean surfing better. At 210 lbs the Stretch is a better fit now but would the Orbit fish be a better boat for the ocean stuff?

If I was to buy a specific WW boat for the Ocean what would you guys recommend?

photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
If all you want to do is surf, then skip the whitewater boats and buy a dedicated surf kayak. Think surfboard with a deck.

MikeG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Check out Fluid's website. They make composite boats just for surfing. Probably a little pricey but they are designed for what you have in mind.
Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
The Necky Orbit Fish is a ton of fun on the ocean. Been there done that would do it again and again.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
If all you want to do is surf, then skip the whitewater boats and buy a dedicated surf kayak. Think surfboard with a deck.
Figure may go there someday but just want to par down the WW boats to one for now and want to make sure I don't get rid of the wrong one.
Old 05-24-2011   #6

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Riot

Find an old Riot Glide...you can add skegs to it, for ocean wave carving.
Old 05-24-2011   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
The Necky Orbit Fish is a ton of fun on the ocean. Been there done that would do it again and again.
I was thinking the Orbit fish would rip up the waves. It is actually kind of shaped like the Fluids. My problem is I just don't fit the boat very well, I had to remove one thigh brace to get my fat legs to barely fit into the boat.

I put it on the market but at a price that may not move fast so maybe I'll have to keep it.
Old 05-24-2011   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobug View Post
I was thinking the Orbit fish would rip up the waves. It is actually kind of shaped like the Fluids. My problem is I just don't fit the boat very well, I had to remove one thigh brace to get my fat legs to barely fit into the boat.

I put it on the market but at a price that may not move fast so maybe I'll have to keep it.
Time to get the Hot air gun out of the shed and make the Fish work...
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #9

I think the Necky would shred - be fast, hold an edge/carveand still let you pop some air tricks. Have fun...
Old 06-01-2011   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
One question between the Orbit Fish and the Riot Glide. I bought the Orbit Fish after almost a decade off from a regular paddling season (50 days+). It was too much boat for me. I was able to get it down the river but it was too edgy for me.

Might the Riot Glide be a little less demanding to get a fat old boater back on the water and into the surf? Then if I get stronger, skinnier and somehow younger I could get a surf specific boat.